Getting Apps from Computer to PhoneSupport

Last Updated:

1. Coffee with Me

Coffee with Me Member This Topic's Starter

I have read a couple other threads, as well as the root one, about putting an app onto my phone.

Everything I read says, plug in phone, then mount sd card, and then something will pop up and you move your downloaded apps into the sd card file.

So I do that...mount sd card...nothing happens. Nothing comes up at all.

Advertisement
  2. dpshptl

dpshptl Well-Known Member

You can take the sd card out and put it in a adapter and put the adapter in your computer. This will only work if you have a slot on your computer. Or you can buy a usb adapter that can take the sd card. You should have no problem this way.

3. brinky

brinky Well-Known Member

Dropbox. It is a free service and a free app. Once you have an account created you move the files from you computer to your dropbox folder. Then install the app on your phone and you can then download from dropbox to your phone and install.

Sure it is more work then the cable, but I don't always have my cable handy.

4. Phateless

Phateless Well-Known Member

Once the phone and computer are connected, give it a few mins to "detect" your phone. There should be a notification in the task bar on the phone that allows you to chooose "charge, mount sd card, or tether."

Choose mount sd card.

For moving files around, DropBox is also freaking awesome! Upload with computer and download with phone. If you click the referral link here you and I both get an extra 250mb of storage.

http://db.tt/sQjzpz9

I also LOVE a tool called awesome drop, available in the market. It lets you drag and drop files to your phone, right through the internet, no cables and no set-up required.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=futRwfTEQe8
    [​IMG]

5. dasudevil

dasudevil Well-Known Member

another option...

Use APKatcher...
    [​IMG]
    scan using your barcode scanner

Application Description

Ever get Android Applications in your email? Frustrated that the Gmail application won't let you install them? This small utility enables you to install these Applications without jumping through hoops. Simply choose APKatcher after pressing the Preview button in Gmail, then press OK to install.

Thats what i use to send apps to myself if im in a hurry.

6. vnguyen972

vnguyen972 Active Member

here's what I always do:

1. plug myTouch to PC
    2. PC detects it and the phone mounts the SD as a disk drive (you can see on the status bar)
    3. From PC, open windows explorer and nagivate to the SD just mounted
    4. Drop the apk file there
    5. on your phone, wipe the status bar to see "Ongoing" drop down and seelct to change USB connection type: change it to charge only ---> that will unmount your SD from the PC
    6. From the phone, launch Astro file manager, and go to the folder i saved the apk file
    7. Tap the file and it will pops up say open it with Application manager or something like that, then from there you could just tap the Install button.
    8. Done.

7. Phateless

Phateless Well-Known Member

Oh, is that like the fastweb installer through AppBrain?