• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

getting blown away by iPhone4

EvilBunny

Feb 8, 2011
So I just downloaded the speedtest (speedtest.net ooku or whatever) app and I am showing downloads of 200 - 500 kpbs.

My coworker (who I'm always arguing back and forth about droid vs. iPhone) is showing downloads of 2-3Mbps!!!

I'm getting blown away! This sucks and I don't believe it to be right... Also, my upload speeds show to be 2 to 3 times faster than my download speed.

Is this something in my settings? My network up here (I'm in Bangor Maine)??? It shows a full signal with 3G so I don't know what's up.

He has the iPhone 4 which I would assume would be a little faster than my original moto droid, but it shouldn't be beating it this bad... Any ideas???

There has to be something wrong. I have been looking at some settings and have not found anything yet. But when I first got my Droid I did speed tests with a few iPhone users at work and I was much faster. 200-500kpbs seems extremely low to me. I would assume with full bars and 3G you should be getting the same 2-3 Mbps. Did you have any other apps maybe running at same time?

Upvote 0
There has to be something wrong. I have been looking at some settings and have not found anything yet. But when I first got my Droid I did speed tests with a few iPhone users at work and I was much faster. 200-500kpbs seems extremely low to me. I would assume with full bars and 3G you should be getting the same 2-3 Mbps. Did you have any other apps maybe running at same time?

I closed all running apps through my "settings" and nothing improved.

Do you think I might be getting "throttled" ??

Verizon can now throttle top five percent of bandwidth hogs, downres multimedia transfers -- Engadget#

Upvote 0
If you are compairing Verizon 3G and AT&T 3G, both with the same signal strength, AT&T is going to be faster, much faster. It has nothing to do with Iphone.....

I was assuming it was a Verizon iPhone 4. But of course, AT&T is faster than Verizon (provided you have coverage, which you frequently don't). Again, like I said, past a certain point, the bottleneck doesn't lie in your connection's speed, but rather how quickly the server is going to provide you with the data. And at 200-500kbps, I think the bottleneck is at the server, personally.

Upvote 0
I was talking about the att iphone in my OP.

fwiw, we both loaded a website, starting at the exact same time and my moto droid beat his iPhone4 loading the page. Not by much, but it still beat him.

so even though this speed test is showing his phone to be consistently 2-3x faster, I was able to load a web page faster. Go figure...

Why is this? Any ideas?

Granted this was one test with one particular web page at one instant in time, but it happened... I'm sure he'll want a "rematch" so who knows if it was a fluke or not.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones