getting calendar event on phone to sync with google calendar

Last Updated:

1. shavald

shavald Member This Topic's Starter

I am new to Android, Google calendar and the Captivate phone.

Have successfully imported my old calendar to Google Calendar which initially synced with the calendar on my captivate.

However, when I add a new event to my phone calendar, it does not automatically show up on the Google calendar. the Samsung rep told me I have to edit each new even to mark it as a "Google Calendar".

Is there any way to make this the default option on the Captivate phone? I am hoping to have automatic syncronization b/t the phone and the Google calendar without having to force it to do so each time.

thanks

Advertisement
  2. lilo

lilo Well-Known Member

Check the settings in the Calendar on the phone. The phone maintains several calendars. As i understand, one is a local calendar. If you connected the phone to your Google calendar, you'll see it on the list of calendars too. When you add a new even in the phone Calendar, there is a field that allows you to specify which calendar should be used (local or Google). If you use local calendar, the event will not be synced with Google calendar. You can edit existing event - and change the calendars in them. Consider disabling local calendar as it might be just a source of confusion.

3. shavald

Thanks for the reply.

So how do I disable the local calendar on my phone so that all events I add go under the Google calendar by default?

4. zeddock

zeddock Member

While in Calendar app, hit menu button, then Settings. Then Calendars. Unselect My Calendar.

But that does not reduce the confusion!

Now, even though you will not see anything to do with entries for the local calendar, when you make an event it will still be defaulted to be created in the Local (My calendar) calendar!!!

Silly!

I am not sure how to fix this. Anyone else?

Thanx!
    zeddock

5. jhnstn00

jhnstn00 Well-Known Member

Doesnt do it alright. And if you unselect my calendar, then quick adds of events dont show up. A long click on a date say in month view will open up a quick event that automatically save event to my calendar not google. you wont see this if my calendar is off.

I too would like to see default to google. will keep looking.

6. zeddock

zeddock Member

Android is supposed to be open source. Where is a config file that I can change? Or is this not as simple as I am imagining?

Thanx!

zeddock

7. bisgedyn

bisgedyn New Member

I glad someone raised this. This seems ridiculous! I have the same problem. I can only think of two solutions:

1. Maybe use a different calendar app?
    2. Google fixes the app!

I have just done an experiment and at least events added to the Google calendar can be added in offline mode. I considered using Google calendar via the browser but then realised it'd be useless if I were somewhere with no data connection or if there's a server outage.

8. blackhemi

blackhemi Well-Known Member

I agree, this calender thing is a bit ridiculous. I do hope its more of a bug...if you de-select the local calendar, then there should be no option to select which calender to use when creating an event.

who do i complain to?

9. zeddock

zeddock Member

I hope it gets fixed before my 30 days on this Captivate are up. I will have to go back to iPhone!

Thanx!

zeddock

10. sinjin

sinjin Active Member

anything new on this? the default to My Calendar is driving my wife crazy. Any suggestions for a third party cal with direct sync with the G?

11. sparker366

sparker366 Well-Known Member

When you are making an entry for the calendar event there is a calendar selection there. I know it adds another step to the mix but that is the only way that I can see to get it to save to your google calendar. You probably know that already but just was pointing it out as that seems the only way to specify which calender the event goes too.

12. shavald

on another thread, someone mentioned an app: Jorte calendar

have not tried it out, but if someone is familiar with it or wants to trial it, please post your results here

thanks

13. no driver

no driver Active Member

Try Gemini Calendar. It remembers which calendar you last added to, and also has the ability to click on an address to view it on the map (though it doesn't see Google Navigate, just AT&T Navigator) or on a phone number to call it.

I am under the impression that the calendar app that comes on the Captivate is a Samsung app rather than the default Android calendar, but this is my first Android phone so I could be wrong about that.

14. sidejobbob

sidejobbob New Member

Any one try the Gemini Calendar for this problem?
    Does this use data plan to sync with google calendar or cause any problems?

15. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Anything that transfers data uses your data plan. So yes.

16. DT

DT Well-Known Member

I actually rooted around in the calendar.db where all the settings are stored, and couldn't get the local calendar out of the selection list, so I'm assuming it must be "hardwired" into the code vs. using anything from the configuration DB.