Getting Desire Tomorrow, Need Help

Last Updated:

1. thirdfloornorth

thirdfloornorth Member This Topic's Starter

I'm getting the Desire tomorrow through Cellular South (CDMA) and want to immediately upgrade to Froyo.

I haven't modded a phone since my RAZR, so I want to make absolutely sure to not brick this on day one.

I was looking at cyanogenmod, but decided at least at first I'd like to do the straight-up official Froyo build: http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/148932-froyo-ruu-update-available.html

That is the official HTC release of Froyo for Desire is it not?

Is it specifically geared for European phones, GSM, etc? Do I need to do something different radio-wise because my phone will be the ever-unpopular CDMA standard?

In regards to the gold card, will I have/is it a good idea to leave the goldcard in the phone (IE, should I goldcard the 8gig that comes with the Desire) or is it ok to swap them out (should I gold card my 4gig from my Blackberry)?

Froyo hasn't been rooted? Why?

How can I do a stock recovery image of my phone as it is as soon as I get it home so if I bork up I can flash back to Cell South's image?

You get the idea.

Also, besides cyanogenmod, what are some good custom/popular roms?

Advertisement
  2. Sophos

Sophos Member

Hi, As far as i know there are no stable Froyo builds for CDMA Desires (I have one through USCC). There is a work in progress here. I also found this thread over at the cyogenmod forums...seems like there will be a version available at some point.
    All of this is a little irrelevant as unless you were one of the lucky few that grabbed the new Unrevoked 3.2 before it was pulled, you cannot root your CDMA Desire.

Hope this answers a few of your questions.

Cheers

3. moe3754

moe3754 Well-Known Member

The link in you post is for GSM phones only, if you use that and by chance even got it to recognize your phone it would Brick your phone, but I doubt it would even work on your phone, all I can say is forget that link.

I really doubt that there are any custom mods yet for CDMA phones but I would not really know since I only use GSM.

4. thirdfloornorth

thirdfloornorth Member This Topic's Starter

Well, I sadly don't have that option in my area :( Wouldn't the difference between CDMA and GSM just be the radio file? Are there no 2.2 stable radio files? Can I even root it?

5. kevinf1990

kevinf1990 Well-Known Member

i think a lot of evo 4g users and htc incredible users have rooted theirs so i think it is possible but i'm not sure