• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Getting Droid and cancelling data plan

why do you want a smart phone without data?

I'm not questioning why he wanted it, I want a more specific explanation of HOW he did it.

He signed a 2 year contract... must not have been a smartphone, otherwise he'd have a data plan cuz they're mandatory. Next, how did he purchase a Droid X from Verisonwireless.com and didn't have to activate it? if you don't activate you have to pay an ETF of $350.00. (or pay full retail price) If he did activate it on his line, how did he do that without getting a mandatory data plan?

Upvote 0
jdonkey123 is a smart person. This is obviously the best post on this thread. I am quoting/replying to this thread because I think it is important enough to state twice - and more important today than it was then.

Oligopoly is exactly what we have in the U.S. and that is very much the case in terms of telecommunications and devices built to serve those giant corps.

Unfortunately, this probably isn't going to change here because the gov't is essentially run by these corps and by far the majority of Americans will accept paying more than what they need because it is easier than the alternative.

It's a shame that this has to happen. I wonder if there could exist a possibility for a class action lawsuit against these companies for forcing consumers to pay for services they didn't require?

I'm not trying to flame here at all, but I feel like a few of the respondents are practically shills for the wireless carriers! If someone says that don't need mobile data access, why would you presume to know better?! The carriers don't "need" to restrict consumer choice in this way to enable profitability. They CHOOSE to restrict choice because the anti-competitive environment allows them to do so, and given the choice they are happy to influence the market for a known benefit today, over an unproven benefit tomorrow!

The wireless carriers of America have consolidated for "efficiency" enough that they have been allowed to create an oligopoly.

a pseudo-monopoly made up of a small number of very large providers who control the supply of a market and typically either directly or tacitly agree not to compete on one or more market factors.

Areas in which wireless carriers have agreed not to compete:
-Prices of phones - > nearly all new phones are purchased without knowing the true sales price as it is obscured with unspecified contract subsidy.
-Off plan text messaging - $.20/msg! Obviously this rate cannot be justified based on actual costs and along with no ability to refuse incoming text messages, it is designed to bully customers into choosing txt message plans which allow many more messages than actually used on average. These plans also then encourage switching from relatively data intensive phone calls to relatively tiny text messaging, while keeping revenue the same!
-Everybody pays the subsidy rate! They bully customers into two-year contracts by making you pay elevated monthly fees which pay for the phone subsidy even if you bought the phone outright for cash! If I buy my own cable modem, Charter doesn't still get to charge me $4 a month for it, why should wireless carriers?!
-Two Year Contract for all! Off contract phones are sold at an abusively inflated "Cash Price", but a new account still requires a two-year contract AND the carrier still exclusively controls the ability to actually use YOUR $600-700 device with a carrier lock!
-Data Plan Required for all smartphones, regardless of cash or contract purchase!

Yes I realize that their are plenty of prepaid and other marginal options, but even those are primarily controlled by the same players, don't offer the latest and most sought after handsets and are specifically marketed to a separate subset of consumers. The main wireless consumer class requires their utilities to be ongoing monthly plan/rate based services, so these alternatives don't compete for the same customers.

U.S. carriers have at best accidentally or at worst secretly agreed not to meaningfully compete with each other on the hugely important aspects of wireless services listed above and customers are suffering.

In a properly competitive environment, providers would: Sell a phone for a fair and profitable retail price, plus charge a fair and profitable rate for basic monthly service which would allow data plans to be optionally added for a fair price.

Instead carriers attempt to compete on 3 mostly constructed criteria; Perceived network reliability/quality, perceived price/plan differences, handset availability.

Handset selection should be controlled completely by the end user, not the carrier! Other than professional travelers, the rest of us spend 99.9% of our time in one or maybe two regions and so all that really matters is the network quality of carriers in your region. Finally, just through implied market actions, the small number of carriers guarantee that price/plan differences will typically be in parity with only short-term differences possible.

To Fix It:
It was federal regulators who led us to the slaughter by allowing a never-ending stream of mergers in this industry. It should fall to them to save us by forcing all four wireless carriers to split into two logical business units; network infrastructure and service provider. AT&T's service provider unit would then lease network capacity from AT&T's infrastructure unit at a fair market price and 3rd-parties could lease at the same or a similar price.

This would not be heavy-handed government action, but instead end the anti-American barriers to competition that the wireless industry has been allowed to create. If they are running efficient and competitive businesses that serve the free market best, than they have nothing to worry about as they would continue to dominate.

But I'm guessing it would look a lot more like the last time that congress busted up excessive supplier control in telecommunications... In 1984, AT&T's residential long distance rate averaged $.33/minute, that year regulators forced AT&T to give the same local toll access to all potential competitors and forced those competitors to pay the same costs as AT&T for long distance services. Within 5 years, AT&T's average residential long distance rate dropped to $.18/minute which was in line with competitors.

During this time, access, call quality, usage, and industry revenue all increased dramatically(despite falling prices,) simply because breaking up the market-hindering forces released a wave of pent up demand. That's because big market players are too afraid of losing what they have to take innovative risks for big gains.

Breaking up the damaging control that suppliers have over the current wireless market is the best and fastest way to encourage the evolution of telecommunications. Just think of how many devices in our lives we might actually connect to wireless networks if the end of monopolies meant we could connect as many as we wanted for between $5-10 per device. My monthly wireless bill might go up 10-20%, but the perceived value I get from receiving data when, where, and on which device I want could easily double my perceived value.

This will eventually happen either way, but if we wait for the oligopolists to deliver this future, it will take 10-20 years instead of the 5 that it could take!

Upvote 0
I found this thread through my interest in using a newer android powered device without a data plan.

Like several people on this thread, I could care less about having a data plan. There are numerous useful applications that do not require data to be sent to the device to function and like many people, I am around wifi most of the time already anyway. I am already paying -handsomely- for that wifi connection as it is.

I live in a rural area where cellular coverage is hosted by one company and one company only: Verizon.

I have two options for internet: Hughes sat or Cellular. Due to restricted bandwitdh associated with Hughes, we chose cellular, which was hosted by Alltel, now owned by Verizon. Thankfully, there are no restrictions on the data usage which average about 8-10 gigs/month.

In order to get THAT access, I have to use a cellular repeater antenna which is mounted 40' above the home office.

Right now I have the same phone I had 6-7 years ago; the old motorola razr V3.

I am a very tech savvy person and have held off this entire time getting a android powered device because I don't want to pay what I consider exorbitant rates for services I do not need. This is aggravating at the very least. I would much prefer to go with Sprint as a carrier (as at least they don't restrict your bandwidth like Verizon does), but unless I actually sell my home and move, I'm S.O.L.

What I pay for cell and internet services would more than double because of these "data plans" forced on us should we "upgrade" to the newer phones. Our old razrs are not in great shape anymore. So we've got to do something soon.

If anyone knows ANY WAY to move around this system - e.g. - purchase a new android based phone (such as the Samsung galaxy) and only have a voice and SMS plan for it - please let us know.

Upvote 0
Very frustrating for me. I got a Verizon Droid A853 (Milestone) and after two years upgraded to a Droid 3 mainly because I needed a global phone. I would now like to let my wife use the Droid as a phone. I reset it and set up a google account for my wife and it works quite well on wifi. But Verizon says no way without a data plan. Hoping they change their mind soon.

Upvote 0
I don't thnk they will change their mind given they have had that policy for a while.

Yeah, I think madatory data plans for smartphones has been their policy for a couple years now. It was always unlimited data for $29.99 until just recently. They did away with thier unlimited plans and have gone to tiered data. (Still mandatory with smartphones however) Now $29.99 for 2GB's of data per month. I think they have a special right now for 4GB's for $29.99 per month.

Upvote 0
It makes me think of just using a solution like this or Skype for my calls on something like a Samsung Galaxy MP3 player. Wi-Fi is everywhere now and I can't see the benefit of paying a wireless carrier $100 a month when I can do mostly anything a Verizon smartphone can do with a one time $300 purchase.

-Mitch

Yes you are correct, wifi is many places. You can set up your phone to make calls and send texts through alternate phone sevices other than Verizon. But then again, if you're on the road travelling and you're miles from a wifi spot, you will not have phone service in case of an emergency. This would not be my choice however.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones