• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Getting EVO4G replaced thru insurance...questions?

mcbtrain929

Android Expert
Nov 5, 2009
So this weekend I lost my EVO 4G. I plan on calling up the insurance place to get that going, but I had a few questions that I don't know the answers to...

1) Is the EVO3D still the phone replacing the EVO4G right now?
2) I lost it at a party. If I call insurance, say I lost it, get a replacement sent to me, but then I find out someone from the party found my phone, will that phone still be good? Or will Sprint have deactivated it? Would that effect the ESN of the phone?
3) How much is the deductible these days thru Sprint?

Thanks in advance...

So this weekend I lost my EVO 4G. I plan on calling up the insurance place to get that going, but I had a few questions that I don't know the answers to...

2) I lost it at a party. If I call insurance, say I lost it, get a replacement sent to me, but then I find out someone from the party found my phone, will that phone still be good? Or will Sprint have deactivated it? Would that effect the ESN of the phone?

Thanks in advance...

1) According to folks in this thread on xda, it varies by day which one you get, depending on what Asurion has in stock -- they've been going through the process to see which one comes up.
2) They will mark the ESN as Lost/Stolen, meaning the phone cannot be activated by anyone but you. I'm not sure if they will require you to turn it in if you claim to have found it once you get your replacement, though...
3) I believe the deductible is $100 for smart phones.

Upvote 0

Thanks in advance...

Hello :) I have not seen any HTC Evo 3Ds go out for an EVO 4G replacement. If Sprint marks it as lost/stolen the phone is forever unusable :-( the ESN will be placed on a lost/stolen list and if it does turn up somewhere and you get it back it's pretty much useless. If you do your claim through asurion's website you get free overnight replacement and the deductible is still $100 on the Evo. I hope this helps

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

Thanks in advance...

I recently got my Evo replaced with a Evo3d on or about the 10th of this month. I cracked the screen and had to pay the $100 and they immediately sent a replacement. It's a nice phone but still has the Evo issues such as rebooting and related problems.

I have not seen any HTC Evo 3Ds go out for an EVO 4G replacement.

I got my Evo replaced with a 3d around the 10th of this month.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, would appreciate some advice here. This is my situation:
- Started experiencing previously resolved issues on phone a week or two ago, not coincidentally after spilling a beer on the phone (only charges about 10% of the time even though orange light always comes on, goes into car mode every time it boots up, force reboots every time it does actually charge, volume won't work when headphones are in, lots of browser force-closes)
- Figured I'd tough it out since I thought I was eligible for my last one-year upgrade in early-mid October 2011 and have been waiting for Galaxy Nexus
- Found out yesterday I'm not eligible for upgrade until August 2012 because apparently I'm one of the "unlucky few" who just missed the cutoff, according to Sprint CSR

So my EVO 4G is rooted with MikG's Sense 2.1/3.0 ROM and broken, and I have no upgrade until August 2012. I have the insurance.

Is my best bet to replace the phone and pay the deductible, then upgrade in August? Do I need to unroot before taking it in or is it not an issue with the insurance? Is the deductible $35 or $100? If rooting is an issue, is there any difference between a water-damage device and a "lost" device as far as deductible?

I'm thinking by the time the Galaxy Nexus comes out (I was told "some time in March" by the guy on the phone), it will be 4 months old so I might as well wait until August and see what's out.

Upvote 0
hi, moved your question to the sprint section since you are inquiring about handset upgrades as opposed to a particular type of handset.

seems you answered you own question. if you can "tough" it out, then wait until august.

the replacement cost is 100 bucks (just go their website to find out all the details) for top level smartphones. if you can find another handset cheaper than 100 bux then perhaps get it. but 100 bux for a factory refurb handset is not a bad deal.

i would un-root the device before sending it in. an overzealous inspector could say that was the cause of your issues and void the replacement. err on the side of caution. takes no time to un-root from what I have read.

just depends on your tolerance level with the current issues your device is having and if you want to break out 100 dollars for a replacement.

in the end the choice is yours amigo...

Upvote 0
The 3D is a much better phone IMO

Debatable
Agree 200%. The battery life is night and day. I was getting tired of charging to 100%, checking emails /facebook/twitter, and being down to 85%. Now the 3d MIGHT go down to 98% with that same usage. Plus gotta love all that dual core-ness.

My girlfriend has the 3d, not impressed. My buddy and I have the Evo and get over 24 hours on a charge. Today he finally plugged his in after 31 hours. I also had an issue rooting my girls 3d with the HTC dev tool, hopefully I can get this one rooted and not have any issues.

Upvote 0
My daughter lost her EVO 4G while at Disneyland and I called the loss into Sprint's Asurion. Great customer service on the Asurion side - wish they would serve as call center for the deplorable Sprint call centers.

Anyway, I received a new EVO 3D in replacement of the EVO 4G (overnight!). I was totally expecting some refurbished EVO 4G that someone returned from a bad rooting try.

Funny that the Sprint website is still selling the EVO 4G for $99 - same price as the EVO 3D. I guess Asurion, as a third-party doesn't have to stockpile & distribute Sprint's dead inventory for them. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones