• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Getting google voice for my droid, stick with own number or get new?

silenceforus

Nov 5, 2009
Basically as it says. I'm wondering if when I open up this new google voice account, should I go for my existing number, or get a new one? Do you think the features currently unavailable with your own number will become available with time? Is it a huge hassle to use my existing number?

thanks
matt

I just signed up for Google voice and chose the new number option. Haven't used it much but two things to mention so far. When the new number is called it seems like I am getting a delay when the phone rings...and you have to listen to a message that says choose 1 to answer or 2 to send to voice mail. I think that will get old really fast. The thing I really enjoy about a new google number is that I chose a number that was local to my Mother so it won't be long distance for her to call me even though I live across the county. That will be nice.

I'm not positive if I had chosen to use my standard phone number if I'd have to go through the message to answer or not on every single call.

Upvote 0
Basically as it says. I'm wondering if when I open up this new google voice account, should I go for my existing number, or get a new one? Do you think the features currently unavailable with your own number will become available with time? Is it a huge hassle to use my existing number?

thanks
matt
You should absolutely get a new number. You can always go back to using your existing number if you wanted.

Personally, I think one of the greatest features of Google Voice is the fact I will have one number that I never really need to change. I can switch carriers, have multiple phones and that one number is the only one people need to know.

Upvote 0
Agree that you should go with a new number. The reason that you don't get all the features when you use your existing number is because you are only forwarding calls to google voice when unanswered/unavailable. Google has announced their intentions of ultimately allowing you to fully 'port' your existing number over to their service (meaning that incoming calls will actually go straight to google voice, rather than through your home/cell carrier), which will ultimately allow all features, but that is not available yet.

As for the having to press 1 to answer or 2 to send to voicemail, I believe (though haven't checked) that this is configurable. I for one, could not live without the call screening feature however.

Upvote 0
I use google voice but I split the numbers i give out.

Friends and famiyl get real number and business and such get GV number.

As great as GV is and people give it rave reviews there is a number of flaws that until fixed will affect ur decision.

1) google voice does NOT do mms. just sms. So if a friend u gave ur GV number tries to send a photo via mms, it will go into the great unknown. u wont get it. hence me giving my friends and famiyl cell number.

2) google voice does not handle sms via gateways. what this means is if someone sends your gv a sms messege from say AIM or yahoo messenger, you wont get it cause they use gateways. So if you have a friend on AIM who doesnt want to waste a txt from home and u have unlimited so they sent u a sms whiel signed into AIM or windows messenger or yahoo messenger GV wont get..ur normal cell will.

there is a number of other 'shorcomings'..so do ur research and dont get it just cause a million fanboys cry its an 11 out of 10 super. I love google but as with all things, do ur research.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones