getting GT540 next week, few questionsSupport

Last Updated:

1. Jack90

Jack90 New Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. djpailo

djpailo Active Member

I've just got it and personally I'm waiting for 2.1 before doing anything.

3. HonestGuvnor

HonestGuvnor Active Member

The method of enabling root access you linked to does not work for all phones. For example, those bought from Carphone Warehouse do not have the 'Enable Root Permission' entry to select.

An LG rep in the UK said the upgrade would be available end of next week or perhaps the following week. It may be wise to settle on 2.1 before investing significant time in modifying/setting up.

Whether it makes much difference will depend on what you want to do with root access.

4. he6rt6gr6m

he6rt6gr6m Well-Known Member

I'm also waiting for 2.1 before messing about.

5. vikidroid

vikidroid Well-Known Member

if you root it before 2.1, imho, after update, again will be unrooted. so, wait for 2.1, then finally root it. btw, there is no waranty that root method will work with 2.1.

6. Jack90

hmm ok, well if i shouldn't buy it from the Carphone Warehouse, where should i? there all pretty much the same price at

7. HonestGuvnor

HonestGuvnor Active Member

It depends on what you want/value from the phone and shop. I require an unlocked phone because I use a local sim when abroad. Carphone Warehouse also proved to be no problem when first replacing a faulty phone and then replacing that with the LG when the replacement also proved to have the same fault. Doing this with a phone bought online would have been a lot more trouble.

Requiring a bit more messing about to become root is a minus but it may be wise to keep it in perspective with other things.

8. jporch316

jporch316 Well-Known Member

Hey mate - got mine from carphone warehouse and its unlocked and fine. Got a question for you though - why are you so eager to get it rooted?

9. Jack90

file manager, save to SD ect. i don't need it that much to be rooted tbh, just lets me do more stuff, and i think some apps need a rooted phone but not sure.

10. jporch316

jporch316 Well-Known Member

Theres plenty of filemanagers around - astro, ES etc

I didnt realise that rooting could give you save to SD, do you need to get software for this?

I am waiting for 2.1 - i might give the rooting a crack then

11. eyew

eyew Member

Just noticed my one from Vodafone Australia (which I updated to Baltic 2.1) doesn't have that entry either.

Any other option to root for those that don't have it ? Would like to get WiFi tethering and assume this phone won't get 2.2 for it.