Getting handles to multiple EditTexts in a ListView

Last Updated:

1. ianww

ianww Member This Topic's Starter

I have a dynamic length ListView of multiple EditText items, ie. it can have anything from 3 to 27 EditTexts in a scrolling vertical list. I'm using a SimpleCursorAdapter.

The user can make changes to any number of those EditTexts, then click either an Accept button or a Reject button for the whole list.

Can someone please suggest a way that I could interrogate the ListView at run time after an Accept click to get a handle to each of the EditText items contained in the ListView one by one, so that I can save the values in them back into my SQLite database?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. id0001

id0001 Well-Known Member

If you create these edittext items dynamically you should also be able to save a reference to each item when you add it to your listview.

3. ianww

Thanks for the response - I wonder how I might do that? Here are some of the relevant bits of my code:

//This is my parent ListView
    setContentView(R.layout.weight_edit);

//Here's my cursor, which grabs rows made up of 3 columns (+ the id) from my SQLite database
    cursor = db.rawQuery("SELECT _id, criterion, localweight, globalweight FROM "+ dbTableName + " ORDER BY criterion", null);

//Here's my SimpleCursorAdapter. The weight_edit_items xml is a row
    //with 3 edit texts to take the 3 columns of the cursor row
    mAdapter = new SimpleCursorAdapter(this, R.layout.weight_edit_items, cursor, new String[]{"criterion","localweight","globalweight"}, new int[]{R.id.criterion_edit, R.id.localweight_edit,R.id.globalweight_edit});

//I then set the ListAdapter. Depending on a user option, this will display
    //between 3 and 27 rows of EditText fields. I presume it does this by iterating through the weight_edit_items xml between 3 and 27 times to create each row of the display
    this.setListAdapter(mAdapter);

To get references to the EditText fields I guess I'd have to get inside the calls to the weight_edit_items xml somehow?

Alternatively, is there a method in the SimpleCursorAdapter class through which I can get a handle to all the EditText items that it binds? (I've looked but nothing's jumping out at me.)

I'd appreciate any advice!

Thanks.

4. id0001

id0001 Well-Known Member

in stead of adding you array of items directly you could add each item in a loop.

for(int i = 0; i < arraySize; i++)
    {
    EditText item = new EditText();
    myEditTextArrayList.add(item);
    mAdapter.add(item);
    }

Something like this.

5. ianww

I've found a way, without having to abandon my SimpleCursorAdapter. :)

I get the number of items in my SimpleCursorAdapter's variable length list using mAdapter.getCount().

I then work through each of those item views one by one, getting from each the EditText field that I want and then extracting the text from that.

Code is:

private void saveUpdatedValues()
    {
    for (int i = 0; i < mAdapter.getCount(); i++){
    EditText v = (EditText) mAdapter.getView(i, null, null).findViewById(R.id.localweight_edit);
    String myString = v.getText().toString();
    //then more code to save that string to my database as an update for database row i}
    }