Getting Hot, Killing BatteryGeneral

1. Scoper50

Scoper50 Member

I bought this phone back in January. That makes it a little over 2 months old. It's been a great phone so far, but I've had a problem happen 3 times now that is a little bit concerning.

Out of nowhere, the phone will start getting really hot. And I won't even be using it. I'll notice that it's getting hot in my pocket. So I take it out, check the task manager to see what apps are running. There is nothing running, and the RAM status is normal, sitting at about 380mb.

While this bizzare heat thing is happening, the battery gets sucked down like crazy. I literally went from a full charge to 9% in about 4 hours. And I was probably actually using the phone for a total of 5 minutes in that time. I checked in the settings to see what has been using the battery, and 98% of the battery was used by the android system.

Anybody else have this problem? The phone is still under warranty, and I'm seriously considering taking this thing back to the store. This has happened 3 times in the past 2 weeks. But most days it's fine. But I have a feeling that this problem will get worse rather than better

Advertisement
    :
  2. Majel

Majel Member

Hey there,

Majel here. The only time my phone has gotten hot was when I was using it for hours, while charging. If the phone is under warranty, I would ask tech support what they think. Even if you didn't purchase the "Total Equipment Protection", the phone is good for a year, but I'm sure you already knew that.

Another thing you can check is the background tasks/programs running that doesn't show up in the Task Manager. That would be Running Services. How you get there is- Settings/Applications/Running Services.

My screen is the one that takes up all of 49% of my battery. The Android OS takes 23% on my phone, so yeah, something abnormal there with yours. Best luck!
  3. Burzum

Burzum Well-Known Member

Yeah, my phone is doing stupid stuff like this as well.

This thing is roughly a little over a month old and has been getting progressively worse in the last 3 weeks or so.

Today, the phone was running at a cool seventy something degrees. No biggie. Restarted my phone in the morning. After restarting the temp shot up to 150 something degrees. I tried shutting the phone off and letting it cool. 30 minutes later...........nothing. Plugged it in and got a message - charging has been suspended due to excessive heat.

The thing is the phone isn't even hot to touch. I've watched movies on it and it's gotten hotter then and didn't have these messages poppin up or issues.

Right now the battery itself is cool to the touch but it will not charge due to the excessive heat message that keeps poppin up. You can't even disable the message while it's plugged in. Even if you hit ok it keeps poppin up every 30 seconds or so.

These phones are brand f*cken new. Resolution so far seems to be - a complete pain in my asshol*s restore. :rolleyes:

It's like buying a brand new computer and being told you need to restore it right out of the box.
  4. Samsmalls

Samsmalls Well-Known Member

Lol don't feel bad guys my phones over 6 months old, & still does this from time to time! Don't worry it gets better, or hotter! Seriously tho I believe there was a thread about the OS system our something getting stuck in the phone & re-looping causing it to run hot. sometimes I notice with gmail running & syncing msgs!

As for the notification I've found that if it does start to run hot & you try to reboot be sure to unplug charger (Before & during reboot) until it has finished scanning the Sd card & internal...

Somehow this works every time maybe it forgets it's still hot, but it will charge after & notification go's away! Also if any of you are rooted try fb modems heats almost a non issue Kool as a cucumber...
  5. Scoper50

Scoper50 Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I think next weekend I'm gonna swing by the Sprint store and tell them about the problem, and see what they can do. The Sprint store by my house has been extremely helpful in the past. Good bunch of people working there, and the manager actually gives a crap.

I'm not due for an upgrade for another 20 months or so, and the phone is still under warranty, so maybe they'll just replace it. I'd hate to be stuck with a problem device for the remainder of my contract.