• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Getting into PC gaming and wanting to make a custom build.

As far as PSU goes, you have to take in acount of what your motherboard will need, what your gpu will need, your harddrives, and optical drives. A nice handy tool can be found here:
Newegg.com - Recommended Power Supply Calculator.

With processor, if you're wanting intel for the name, go with amd, you can get higher performance at a cheaper cost. I went for an i7 because it was all the hype when I was building my pc. My processor scored a 7.5 on the windows index. Meanwhile my friend spent half the money on an 8 core AMD and scored 7.8 (highest) on the windows index. You can spend the same amount of money on an AMD as the i3 and get much more bang for your buck.

After you decide on a processor, you can start looking at motherboards because then you know what socket you will need. When looking at motherboards think about what you are looking for in your pc (ie do you want sli comparability? is expandable sound a big deal) Its also good to have some extra room to be able to add more in the future so you're not stuck with a custom pc that you have to replace just about everything to update it.

You can decide what kind of cooling you want, if you're just gaming and not planning on overclocking, a stock fan that comes with some processors will do just fine. Or if you're into being flashy you can get yourself a fancy fan, or water cooling system

Once you have a motherboard you can select what kind of ram you want, and how much, because you will know what the motherboard accepts for speed and size.

Also after the motherboard you can look at graphics, because you will know what slots it has, and the capabilities it has. Most motherboards you will have the standard graphic input a pci x16. Some motherboards allow you to combine the power of multiple cards using SLI, but it takes up some space.

For hard drives and Solid states its up to you. If you want a PC that will boot in 10 seconds or less, go with a SSD, I would suggest 90GB minimum so you have room for windows updates (more than 90 if you plan on installing games and other applications on the SSD) Then you can get a Hard Drive for storage, 7200 rpm is a fairly good speed.

Also need some optical drives, don't need to be anything special, just able to read dvd's for the few games out there that still have the actual game on a disk.

I think I have covered much of what you will need to take into consideration. We are all here to help! :) Hope I am of some help and not too late haha

And when you're done building your rig, don't forget to post it here:
http://androidforums.com/computers/613602-post-your-custom-rig.html

Reactions: Metroid Prime
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones