• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Getting it replaced - what about my Apps? Urgent Question

Meus Android

Dec 6, 2009
My Hero seems to have a hardware defect and I intend to get it replaced/repaired however the Apps are installed only on the Internal Memory (wtf) according to HTC and not the actual SD card.

Few questions therefore?

1. What is exactly stored on the SD card then other than photos, videos and media.

2. I have paid for some Apps from the Marketplace. If I get a new phone, will I be able to redownload those Apps for free or will I have to pay?

My Hero seems to have a hardware defect and I intend to get it replaced/repaired however the Apps are installed only on the Internal Memory (wtf) according to HTC and not the actual SD card.

Few questions therefore?

1. What is exactly stored on the SD card then other than photos, videos and media.

2. I have paid for some Apps from the Marketplace. If I get a new phone, will I be able to redownload those Apps for free or will I have to pay?

1. That's pretty much it.
2. As long as you sign in on the new phone with the same Google account as you purchased the paid apps with, you will be able to redownload them for free my going to the 'My Downloads' section in the market, or by searching for them again.
Hope that eases any fears you may have about having to pay twice for your apps;).

Upvote 0
1) Photo's , Media and maybe some application data. Just take the old card out of your old phone and place it in the new one

2) Yes , All paid apps can be re-downloaded free of charge. Just make sure you sign in using the same Google account that was on your previous model.

Carl
xmassmile.gif

Upvote 0
Do you have to send the memory card as well? If so, just have a look on it via your PC and delete any personal pics etc you don't want anyone looking at, or format it via the phone-
Menu
Settings
SD Card and phone storage
Unmount SD card
Format SD card
Then you will probably want to reset your phone to factory defaults to remove contacts etc.(Make sure you have them backed up beforehand!!)-
Menu
Settings
Security
Factory Data Reset

Upvote 0
2) Yes , All paid apps can be re-downloaded free of charge. Just make sure you sign in using the same Google account that was on your previous model.

Carl
xmassmile.gif

Carl, where would I be able to find this information about the paid apps being "linked" to your google account and able to re-download them for free ?? I have tried searching the web along with the forum and your replay is about the only one I could find. I would like to see something more "official" on this subject that is from android/google.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Carl, where would I be able to find this information about the paid apps being "linked" to your google account and able to re-download them for free ?? I have tried searching the web along with the forum and your replay is about the only one I could find. I would like to see something more "official" on this subject that is from android/google.

I can personally vouch for this working, I have wiped my phone several times, and my paid apps always show in the downloads section of the market. Free ones don't however, so make sure yopu make a note of any you want to re-download

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones