1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Getting license for application from secondary account

1. deadangel

deadangel Member

OK so this is a bit involved, at least for someone like me that doesn't have much experience with advanced Android usage, so bear with me:

I work at a company that has an Android app. In order to give it to us for free, it was installed on my phone under another Google ID than my own. I was told that in order to activate the application I would need to remove any additional Google accounts (my own personal ones) under Settings - Accounts & Sync, as currently when I open the app it states I do not have a valid license.

Fair enough, however I am not allowed to remove my primary Google account from my device unless I do a factory reset, which I would like to avoid.

The account my business created on my phone is set as the active one in Google Play, and I've turned on and off sync several times also with letting only the business account sync and not my personal account. I've soft reset the phone several times and uninstalled and reinstalled the app (through a file manager), both to internal storage and sd card several times, but am still stuck with "you don't have a valid license"/the option to factory reset.

I've tried to clear data for all Google-related apps under application management on my phone.

If I go into Play Store with the app installed it says "installed". If I uninstall it and go into Play Store with the account my company created as active, it only gives the option to purchase the app.

Phone: HTC Desire HD
    Android version: 2.3.5
    Software number: 3.12.405.2

Very grateful for any help!

Advertisement
    :
  2. valorian

valorian Well-Known Member

I maybe misreading your post but it sounds like you are trying to get a paid app/feature for free? You may have to just buy a valid license and save yourself the headache of getting a paid app for free.
  3. deadangel

deadangel Member

My boyfriend has explained to me that this is apparently something someone trying to obtain an illegal license would say. To be honest the thought hadn't crossed my mind..

All I can say is I do work for the company that developed this app. For reasons beyond my understanding, the only way the employees of the company can get the app for free is through one account and this roundabout manner.

However I understand that I cannot convince strangers that this is AFAIK on the up and up, and I will rather speak to the person in the company who installed the app about whether there is a way for me to get it installed without factory resetting my phone. Thank you for your time anyway.
  4. valorian

valorian Well-Known Member

ok, so it does sound like I misread your first post. Sorry I cannot be more help. Sounds to me that the developers of the app need to make some changes so it isn't this difficult to get a license.
  5. deadangel

deadangel Member

No worries, thanks anyway!

It does seem strange that it's such a hassle to get an app installed that the company itself has made.

Anyway I think it may be down to the Android version, because two colleagues of mine were able to remove their primary Google account, no factory reset necessary, and then the app installed fine. But they're both on Android 4.x. Or it could possibly be a Samsung vs. HTC issue, I know at least one of them has a Samsung.

I guess I'll just have to consider if a factory reset is actually worth getting the app installed. My concern is also that it may keep doing this with every update of the app.
  6. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey Well-Known Member

You should be able to have multiple accounts signed into the market at the same time and install apps under any account without any issues AFAIK - I've done it once (by accident).
    I'd definitely check with the developers before trying a reset..