• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Getting more out of droid x

droidcallx

Jul 15, 2010
ma
So I am currently on the leaked 2.2 (buggy and blah) and i want more. I don't know if i should root (do not know how) and at that what's the best way for me to actually root. if anyone wants to give me a hand on some andriod knowledge hit my up on google talk or here jmenard156@gmail.com and show me the light.

Yes i have searched but this being my first droid i am afraid to do the wrong thing (like updating to the leaked os and now being stuck with it) and i'd rather an expert hold my hand per-say.

thank you

So I am currently on the leaked 2.2 (buggy and blah) and i want more. I don't know if i should root (do not know how) and at that what's the best way for me to actually root. if anyone wants to give me a hand on some andriod knowledge hit my up on google talk or here jmenard156@gmail.com and show me the light.

Yes i have searched but this being my first droid i am afraid to do the wrong thing (like updating to the leaked os and now being stuck with it) and i'd rather an expert hold my hand per-say.

thank you

Flash back to 2.1 and get the OTA update, then get the one click root app from the market, run it and your done.

Here's a thread on the one click app
http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/212293-1-click-root-app-market.html

Upvote 0
but doesn't going back to 2.1 brick your phone? wheres the sbf to get back to 2.1?

Only if you have the OTA 2.2, you said you have the leaked 2.2. Some say you can flash just the OTA 2.2 and your phone be up to date, but a lot of people notice their bootloader and kernel doesn't upgrade that way. I would just flash 2.1 first and then update through the settings, then some of the bugs you have will be fixed and others will have to wait until MOTO releases the next patch.

Upvote 0
im going to loose all my apps this way aren't I?

You can root your phone now, bit to get the most out of it you should get the OTA 2.2. All of your paid for apps are linked to your gmail so you'll be able to go back and redownload them. If I were you is root my phone now, buy titanium backup, backup your apps and then go through the process of getting the OTA. Titanium backup will make things easier, one click restore (if you get the paid one) but you can just go in the market and get them one by one if you don't wanna buy titanium backup (free version allows one by one restore also but not the one click restore. Can be a major pain if you have 192 apps like me)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones