Getting movies and tv onto the CaptivateSupport

Last Updated:

1. Shelbster

Shelbster Guest This Topic's Starter

I am a former IPhone junkie who just switched to a Captivate. I am really enjoying the Captivate/Android experience. After a first gen Iphone, a 3G and a 3GS, I found the Iphone 4 to feel a little stale.

The one thing I really enjoyed about the Iphone was the ease of getting media onto the phone. All I had to do to get a movie or a tv show onto the phone was connect the phone, hit the itunes store, and voila.

I have not been able to figure out how to get movies, tv, etc. onto the Captivate. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Regalicious

Regalicious Well-Known Member

Go to settings->Applications->USB settings and choose Mass Storage mode

Connect to your computer via USB

Drag down the notifications bar and hit Mount

Open My Computer

Open the phone

Create a folder called "Videos" (Or whatever you'd like)

Put movies/tv/video files in that folder

If you want to better organize, you can create as many different folders if you want ... files are organized by folder in Gallery so you can (for example) have a "Movies" and "TV" folder inside your "Videos" folder and when you browse the Gallery it'll have a separate stack for "Videos" (if any are directly in the Videos folder), "Movies," and "TV"

When you're done transferring, Eject/Safely Remove your phone on your computer then drag the notifications bar down and hit Unmount then unplug your USB.

You can also transfer to/from your computer via Bluetooth although it might take forever for giant video files.

3. Shelbster

Shelbster Guest This Topic's Starter

Forgive my noob question, but does this mean I have to put a dvd/blu ray onto my computer and then transfer it to the phone?

Is there anyplace online to get movies to transfer to my phone?

4. CoMaToast

CoMaToast Well-Known Member

Wondering the exact same thing.. Do I just put a dvd in my computer and copy it somehow, then "upscaling it using Handbrake?

handbrake

Encoding Videos for Your Motorola Droid | Adubvideo

5. MarkPharaoh

MarkPharaoh Member

I did this with an Amazon video in WMV format, but when I tried to play the video it stated that I did not have the license to play it. Any suggestions?

6. ~Reaper~

~Reaper~ Well-Known Member

See you pm guys:):)

7. novagator

novagator Well-Known Member

I've been wondering this myself. I know how to actually transfer the files, but what formats does the phone recognize? And is there already stock software that will play the videos loaded onto the phone?

8. kidsavior

kidsavior Well-Known Member

Can you watch Netflix on the Captivate?

9. novagator

novagator Well-Known Member

Netflix doesn't have an app yet.

10. sdelliott31

sdelliott31 Active Member

I'll keep this thread going. I have noticed that mp4 seems to work rather well. I use either Any Video Converter or a free program called avi to mp4. I convert DivX or avi to mp4. How ever unlike the days of 320 X 240 or whatever the 3gs was, and the file size of around 400 mb or less, the new movie size is over 800 mb. I am assuming its because of 800 X 480 resolution of the Captivate. Anybody else gotten them smaller? Any other formats work. All mp4's have worked excellent for me. Thanks,

11. beertha

beertha Active Member

You can download videos from "many a places" besides converting them. The videos I have are made for bigscreen TV's ie; bluray rips (BRrip 720P) and they play fine on the Captivate as long as they dont have DTS audio or AAC-LC Audio.
    Download for your computer a program called "MediaInfo" that will tell you what type of data your videos contain.
    Keep the files under 4gb. I am talking .avi, .mkv, .mp4, .flv, wmv. You will run into a few files that wont work but overall I use the same videos for my 55" Samsung that I use for my phone.
    Good luck.

highspeed11 likes this.
  12. taylormah

taylormah Well-Known Member

Samsung own Kies software does the video conversion to format/size that fits Galaxy S screen + PC outlook sync all in one. I havent tried it yet, but have read good review about it. Would someone please give it a try and post back their experience.

13. John I

John I Well-Known Member

Sure would be nice to use the wireless N to transfer files. Has anyone found a way to mount the Captivate on a home WIFI network?

John

14. GGP2JZ

GGP2JZ New Member

just download Samsung Kies. Its an awesome free program plus it also allows tethering

15. jesterkiller

jesterkiller Member

i just downloaded a video clip and it's in mpeg format. phone says no application can perform this action. is there an app in the market that will play mpeg or do i need to convert the file? i don't know what converter will work and what type of files the Captivate recognizes

16. highspeed11

highspeed11 Member

Unforutunately, I haven't gotten Kies to work properly on with my phone. USB works fine though.

17. ArsiNick

ArsiNick New Member

Reaper, can you please PM me the info as well! Thanks!

18. Thassodar

Thassodar Well-Known Member

Drag down the notification bar, push wifi. It'll then show you networks near you; find yours, enter the password, etc.. When you're finished using the wifi be sure to turn it off otherwise the phone will disconnect but keep searching for nearby wifi signals, draining battery.

19. junnovelez

junnovelez New Member

can u instant message me some of these "many a places" where i can download movies? once i download them , i can figure out how to transfer them to my phone.. its just finding the places to download..thanks..

20. sgv3dmax

sgv3dmax New Member

This is a noob question. I don't see the 'Mount' option in pull-down menu. I dont know if iam right, i tapped down the top of home page screen and a menu dropped down. Do you mean that? Thanks