• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Getting Ready for rEVOlution

SmokemyPole88

Jul 23, 2010
So my EVO comes tomorrow and I have a couple of questions about it.

If I install launcher pro will I get a lock screen like one below.
images

Can my phone be rooted using unrEVOked?

Should I format my SDCard? If yes, How do I do it?

So my EVO comes tomorrow and I have a couple of questions about it.

If I install launcher pro will I get a lock screen like one below.
*IMG Removed*

Can my phone be rooted using unrEVOked?

Should I format my SDCard? If yes, How do I do it?

1) Launchers have no affect on the lock screen. The lock screen is part of the system, and can only be changed if the phone is rooted. That being said, you can use something like widget locker to replace the lock screen with an app. It's a little different in that operates as a launcher replacement, with your normal launcher running on top of it. It's basically a creative way of making it look like you replaced the lock screen. Your other option, of course, is to root and remove the htc lock screen and replace it with the vanilla lock screen (which is what that's a screenshot of).

2) Yes, all current SW versions/hboot versions of the Evo can be rooted with unrevoked, right now. That's subject to change whenever another OTA comes out. You're good for now.

3) The sdcard already comes formatted. If you buy a new sdcard, you may need to format it first. If you root the phone, and you want to use a2sd to move all apps to the sdcard, then you'll have to partition the card, and format it. Otherwise, it comes ready to use when stock.

Reactions: SmokemyPole88
Upvote 0
akazabam already answered it for you in #1.

That being said, you can use something like widget locker to replace the lock screen with an app. It's a little different in that operates as a launcher replacement, with your normal launcher running on top of it. It's basically a creative way of making it look like you replaced the lock screen. Your other option, of course, is to root and remove the htc lock screen and replace it with the vanilla lock screen (which is what that's a screenshot of).

Upvote 0
If you want specifics, you have two options:

1) Flash this over any custom Sense ROM (must be deodexed):

[MOD][PORT][APP]Vanilla Locks & Gestures (Multi-Silder/Rotary) & Config. App - Sense - xda-developers

Assuming you're sticking with Sense (or you wouldn't be asking how to get rid of the sense lock screen), this is probably your best bet. It has a little more added to it than just the lock screen, but it's more customizable.

2) Remove the sense lock screen. Basically, if you remove the HTC sense lock screen, you're left with the vanilla one. You also have to copy over the AOSP deskclock, or you'll never be able to turn off the alarm. The best way to do it is to flash something like this:

update-AOSP-Vanilla-LockScreen.zip

That was made for myn's warm, but it should work on anything.

Make a nandroid backup before attempting any of the above options.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones