• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Getting rid of default apps?

pingram3541

Nov 10, 2009
Ok, I already tried Automatic Task Killer and it just crashes every time I launch the program so I uninstalled it. I installed Task Manager aka Terminator and can manually "Kill" running apps which is great. However, it seems that the following apps (useless to me) just start right back up again and I can't seem to keep them from running (or uninstall them):

Footprints
Stocks
Visual VM

Any help would be appreciated.

This seems like a thread to keep alive because I am sure there are many like me that would love to keep "Stocks and Footprints" from running automatically...especially when an app like Footprints runs in the background persistently checking your location.

Why would HTC and/or Verizon choose these unnecessary apps to be undeletable/uninstallable? Where is the gain? Don't they know something like this just pisses their customers off?

Is there any way besides rooting or auto task killer? Come on all you super nerds out there, figure it out...and then tell me how to do it :D

Upvote 0
This seems like a thread to keep alive because I am sure there are many like me that would love to keep "Stocks and Footprints" from running automatically...especially when an app like Footprints runs in the background persistently checking your location.

Why would HTC and/or Verizon choose these unnecessary apps to be undeletable/uninstallable? Where is the gain? Don't they know something like this just pisses their customers off?

Is there any way besides rooting or auto task killer? Come on all you super nerds out there, figure it out...and then tell me how to do it :D

I wasn't a big fan of Automatic Task killer either and it didn't play well with my battery. I found another one that works great.

Advanced Task Manager

When you first open the program you can scroll through the list and exclude the apps that you want to keep from getting terminated. Once you do that close out the program.

It comes with a widget that you can press and it treminates all those apps that aren't excluded. Including the Task manager program so it doesn't run constantly. This has been great for my battery life and very easy to use. Just randomly through the day I will hit the widget and kill all the useless apps running. It will give you a message after press the widget "killed blank many apps"

Upvote 0
you really dont need a task killer, the phone runs just fine on its own.

Except that many apps stay running after you execute and close them. This may or may not effect the battery life (depends on the app), even if it doesn't affect the battery, it seems to effect my music player occasionally causing skips during playback, so I kill apps I don't "NEED" running 24/7.

I like my tunes! :D

Still, seems pretty lame that "Stocks" runs ALL THE TIME when I could give a sh*t about the market.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones