Getting rid of the swiping unlock screen?Support

Last Updated:

1. gomulkaaa@yahoo.com

gomulkaaa@yahoo.com Member This Topic's Starter

Has anyone been able to disable the screen in which you have to swipe down to unlock the phone? I'd like to use just the unlock pattern option like on the Moto Droid, but I haven't been able to get rid of the swiping screen altogether.

Advertisement
  2. DroidPower

DroidPower Well-Known Member

Did you go to settings... the security to checkout the options.

3. Dex

Dex Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that you can turn that off without rooting or possibly an app. I believe that is simply one of the features of Sense UI.

4. cuban11182

cuban11182 Well-Known Member

Free app called No Lock

5. trellis27

trellis27 Well-Known Member

6. Dex

Dex Well-Known Member

LockBot still seems fairly buggy, I was fooling with it trying to set up a Lock Screen earlier and just had an awful time.

No Lock looks promising for this particular problem. Great find, I might actually have to give it a look-see.

7. SamMax

SamMax Well-Known Member

Hit the menu button...it unlocks the screen

b8b, crimton and dbgoolsby like this.
  8. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

9. omgwhatchuwant

omgwhatchuwant Member

no lock works great for disabling the unlock screen...what would be even better is if you could set up a pattern lock and have THAT screen still show up, but not the stupid first one... is that possible somehow??

10. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

Probably not. I think the one you want to remove is part of Sense. Unless there is a setting to remove it it seems unlikely. Maybe once the phone is rooted they'll have custom Sense-based ROMs where you can disable it.

11. chepes3x

chepes3x Well-Known Member

i just try to do that cuz i really like the pattern lock(in case u loss ur phone) but it dosent work... the no lock app unlock everything.

12. phorts

phorts Well-Known Member

Above statement is true. No Lock bypasses both the Swipe Screen and the Pattern Lock Screen.

There is a widget for No Lock that you can use to enable/disable the feature and i use it sometimes to reeanable the locking screens (at events, whatever).

The main reason i wanted No Lock was so that i can wake the phone up using the trackpad, however this feature is still not yet 100% bug free (sometimes it doesnt work but volume/power always do). This is also the case with LockBot.

No Lock - simply bypasses the swipe/patter lock screens and allows you to wake up phone using volume keys and optical track pad

LockBot - allows you to customize your lock screens (style, images, sounds, etc) and also allow to wake on volume/trackpad keys

I like No Lock for convenience, however i have been waking up the phone accidentally because the volume keys are too accessible (easy to press) where as the optical trackpad requires a decent amount of pressure to activate. I think once i get a case and the volume keys are a little less accessible, then this should be resolved.

I would like the developer to allow to disable wake on volume entirely but that's on my wish list..right now i'd just like to see it work as advertised all the time.

Good luck :D

Tony Touch likes this.
  13. pooohbaah

pooohbaah Active Member

No Lock is great. All it does is completely disable/enable locking with a simple little widget. Clean and simple.

I really don't mind the locking system too much, as long as I can disable it completely when I'm somewhere secure, like sitting at work for 8 hours with the phone next to me. Unlocking the phone again and again just because you didn't touch it in the last 2 min (or whatever timeout you set) is infuriating!

14. absolution

absolution Well-Known Member

I've been looking for the answer to this too. Slide to unlock is fine, but with the pattern lock screen after it, it's definitely redundant. I'd much rather just show the pattern screen to unlock. Haven't found a way to do this though =(

15. youngdoc

youngdoc Well-Known Member

Simplest/best solution:
    1. Search Market for ScreenModeWidget (all one word)
    2. Install
    3. Place widget icon on desktop
    4. Touch widget to change mode. Use the mode that says Awake Stay

Works perfectly on my Incredible. First app I installed.

Edit: I just re-read the original poster's post. The solution that I offered above is to simply get rid of slide lock. I haven't tested it to see if it allows you to keep the pattern lock. YMMV.

16. nickacs

nickacs Well-Known Member

Thanks for the ScreenModeWidget idea... I just installed it and works pretty good. I guess I was under the impression that 'Awake/Stay' mode meant you can just touch the screen and it will come on.
    So, you still have to press the Power button, but at least the annoying swipe it is gone :) Halfway there IMO or until a nice root/new app to just press the Optical pad and it comes on..

17. absolution

absolution Well-Known Member

This app didn't seem to do this. It removed both the unlock and unlock pattern screens.

18. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

Can you update your experiences with the app after a few uses? I would like to know if this is as buggy as some of the other lock apps. If not, I'd defintey would like to try this out as well.

19. Kilo7

Kilo7 Well-Known Member

DAMN..lol, just what i needed!!! Thanks !!.

20. Kilo7

Kilo7 Well-Known Member

DAMN..lol, just what i needed!!! Thanks !!.

21. youngdoc

youngdoc Well-Known Member

I have been using ScreenModeWidget for a while. I had it installed on my Eris under Android 1.5 for several weeks and I have had it on my Incredible under Android 2.1 since it arrived last Wednesday. Never a crash, bug, etc. Seems like a very simple, reliable app.

woop likes this.
  22. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

23. mrvirginia

mrvirginia Well-Known Member

still no app that removes the swipe to unlock, but retains the pattern unlock? =/

24. sunthas

sunthas Well-Known Member

Lock Bot didn't solve my lock issues. Sure it pretends to be able to change the unlock screen, but A) removes pattern requirement in all instances except phone boot up, B) When I get text messages and the notifications showed on the lock screen it acted goofy, as in you could view the notification without first unlocking the phone.

I really just wanted to change the slide behavior of draw down to unlock or answer a call. Haven't seen a good solution to this problem yet.

25. mrvirginia

mrvirginia Well-Known Member

i guess i'll have to wait for rooting to be officially released for the Evo =/