1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

getting rid of the "tip" button on swype

1. asilver

asilver Well-Known Member

is this possible, it's extremely annoying b/c anytime you swing wide while swyping if you push your finger over the "tip" button it stops what you are doing and brings up a damn tutorial......any way to shut that down???

Advertisement
  2. digdug1

digdug1 Well-Known Member

hold it and drag to the garbage at the bottom of your screen.
  3. asilver

asilver Well-Known Member

lol....let me paint a better picture....I'm talking about the tip button on the keyboard..not an icon on the desktop of the phone.

You can't drag and drop the button.

any other suggestions
  4. digdug1

digdug1 Well-Known Member

dooh! i hate swipe! dont use it.
  5. PhilosoRaptor

PhilosoRaptor Well-Known Member

Bump for answer. I would like to get rid of it too. Also, I would like to have the voice input button on the Swype keyboard. I've read on here it's on there somewhere, but I can't find it :confused:.
  6. VIO

VIO Well-Known Member

hmm I want to check my phone but I can't atm; its downloading album art. I'm pretty sure you can turn off the Tutorial in the Swype Settings (Homescreen->Settings->Keyboards->Swype Settings) You don't want to remove the button because it also functions as the "bring up other word choice" button and the "delete from dictionary" button.

I use Swype all the time but never run into the tutorial poping up, but that may just be becasue I don't "swing" as wide as you do!
  7. Krisis

Krisis Member

Not sure on the removal of the tip button, but Swype can enable voice to text in programs that support it, such as Handcent. With the Swype keyboard open in the program, press menu, and "speak" is then an option.
  8. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Yeah, you cannot remove the Swype button because it doesn't just bring up that lame tutorial; its real purpose is to add/remove words to the dictionary and you can also press it right after swyping and it will bring up a menu of the most likely candidates for that word. Also, it's useful even if none of those candidates are right; place your cursor within the word, press the Swype button, and close out the prompt that shows up. The word will be hilighted and your next Swype will replace that word with your next (hopefully correct) attempt.

As for not hitting the Swype key accidentally, you have to Swype in a more controlled manner. Also, are you using it in landscape? I actually find Swype much easier to use in portrait mode because you don't have to move as far.