• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Getting stuck trying to root...need help!

pastortommy

Lurker
Jan 30, 2010
I am a droid user...a friend of mine bought a moment as he was loving my rooted droid...he asked me to root it for him...i am trying...but i can't get past the "software download" in swupdater. The screen says "updating do not disconnect!" but nothing happens. Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks!
Tommy

I had the same problem last night. What helped me get through mine was to :

Unhook the phone (you will get an error on swupdate app, that is fine)
Unplug battery
put back in
go back to download stage (volume down, camera and end button all at once)
plug back into computer
and click start download manager again (on swupdate app)

I had to do it a couple times, but i finally got it to work like that.

Upvote 0
Finally got it. I had to unsinstall usb drivers, etc. and place the folder on my desktop so that when windows tried to find drivers, it could...very strange...someone needs to include this in the steps if it is a common occurence...

now we're wondering...what are the benefits of rooting a samsung moment...still looks very "sprinty" to us...unlike my droid running droidmod...

Is there a wireless tether? Can you overclock? what apps are you all using once rooted?
Tommy

Upvote 0
yes there is wireles tether but only for zefie and speedrabbits kernels which do you have? you can download setscpu to overclock and underclock, you can also flash max recovery to put custom themes on the phone. do you have a home replacement such as ahome gde or panda home? if so this may make your phone lag or go slow and can drain the battery.

Upvote 0
Thanks kingleanidas. How do we get wireless tether? Also, it seems i can only underclock with setcpu...how do i overclock? The autodetect feature doesn't seem to be there...

I don't think i have ahome or panda...how do i get max recovery? What themes are available? Is there a nexus 1 or hero type theme? smoked glass?

Thanks,
Tommy

Upvote 0
you can download setscpu to overclock and underclock,.

This isnt entirely true. You cant overclock it with setcpu. You can underclock it tho! I think zefie tried to overclock and decided it wasnt a great idea, and hasnt bothered since.

For more info about tethering, look here:
speedrabbit SDX 1.7 kernel (3/19/2010), based on joeykrim's

PS: PAY VERY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE 2nd POST!!!!! Hope that helps.

Also, as far as everything still looking "sprinty" to you, thats because you havent did anything else to it. Flashing the kernel is just the "MEANS" to customize your phone! The rest is entirely up to u. Changing themes, deleting apps, etc.,

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones