Getting tired of Android instability issues

Last Updated:

1. juanstah

juanstah Active Member This Topic's Starter

I like the concept of Android and fell in love with what I could poentially do on this platform but after jumping on the bandwagon by picking up the Samsung Moment, I'm starting to realize there are inherent flaws with the operating system which causes my phone to lock up several times a day.

1.) Memory useage and Apps.

If you know as a developer that the overall memory foot print of the current generation android phones being sold on the market is on average around 288mb or less of which most of that memory is used for space for the installed apps, why would you as a developer create an app that is solely designed to run in the background and much worse, why would you as the developer make it so that I am not able to quit the app unless I use a third party task killer??? Having to kill off apps all the time via the task killer to free up more memory so I can run another app is ANNOYING and ********!! Stop making apps that do not allow me to easily quit the app when I need to.

Also another pain in the ass, why have the apps be installed on the phone's internal memory as opposed to the SD Card??? Again, this is ********!! Its asking for trouble when you have only 25mb (or less) of memory for the phone to function. This is why I find myself having to reset the phone several times a day. The instability of the platform is UNREAL!!. Plus with the hardware bugs of the phone itself now fully being documented (GPS location issues), it just pushes the overall user experience of using android to the level of SUCKING ASS!!

I don't know if the update to android v2.01 will resolve these issues but unless there are significant changes to how the OS is to handle apps and memory usage, I don't see this problem going away anytime soon. If android cannot be stable as the use of a Blackberry, a lot of people such as myself will defect to something more stable and promising such as the Palm Web OS platform. All it will take for Palm is to massively pump up the hardware specs for Web OS to get back into the game. If that should happen, I won't give a second thought to jumping ship. Trust me when I say that others like me will do likewise should the Android platform become the reputation of complete unusability.

Advertisement
  2. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

i agree, these force closures and freezes are driving me crazy.. sometimes right in the middle of calls

3. shawheim_a

shawheim_a Well-Known Member

i never have any problems like that. i have prob 25 apps installed, have 5 or 6 widgets running, and i dont have a problem closing apps or having to reset. my battery last a pretty long time with calls and texting and moderate web usage. not to mention that i play my games and stuff a lot. idk but i hope you dont leave android because of this. you are gonna have trouble with any phone that has tons of apps and features running.

4. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Well, I have approx 92 apps installed on my HTC Hero. I use all 7 of my homescreens. I have 13 widgets across those 7 homescreens. I have services running in the background to notify me on updates (twidroid, facebook, newsroom, doggcatcher).

I have a force close button installed, and also task manager. I RARELY use the force close button. I use the task manager about twice a week as a cleanup utility.

I get less than one force close a week.

A call to the OP, please rename this thread to "Getting tired of Samsung Moment instability issues" so it can be moved to that section.

I'd also suggest the problem is more with your compatibility with the android os. Probably you would be more suited to a different platform. But please do not blame Android, it isn't deserved.

5. juanstah

What version of android are you running? Additonally, how much of free memory do you have available to you at any given time?

6. juanstah

For you to suggest that the thread be renamed and be shelfed off somewhere else is suprising. Sticking your head in the sand may satisfy your desire to belive all is well here but what I have raised here are real concerns with the platform of which one would hope that the phandriod community forum would be brave enough to have discussion upon. Again this isn't taking up issues with the hardware but with the android OS. Are we not able to have a discussion as adults on this issue or is that off the table here?

7. shawheim_a

sprint htc hero ver 1.5 and internal mem says 45mb

8. juanstah

Thanks Shawheim. I too am running v1.5 and with just the Gmail and Dolphin apps running, I only have 28mb of free RAM available to me. I'm getting killed here.

9. shawheim_a

how many apps do you have installed. because installing apps takes up your internal memory.

10. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

I agree with the apps to SD bit, and that is an Android issue, also something that Google are working on fixing.

Apps are not meant to be closed, thats whats so special about the Android OS. There are many many threads on the benfits of NOT using a task killer. Like I said I do not do this and my phone runs fine. So I don't see an issue here.

That leaves then just problems with your phone, and its hardware. Thats why I suggested it would be better off in the Moment section.

You are right we should be free to discuss this stuff, but I think we need to clarify exactly what we are discussing too.

11. nonie3234

nonie3234 Well-Known Member

I use Advanced Task Manager, and I use it not so much to kill apps, but to see which apps keep launching themselves over and over. Once identified, I go into their settings and attempt to change whatever the refresh interval is. If that's not possible, and it keeps doing it - I uninstall and find another app that does the same function with less battery drain. There are so many apps, and many developers - some are better than others.

I find that when my phone's internal memory gets at or below 30mb, it starts going WACKY! Won't start up, the OS force closes, etc. Just wacky. Right now I have it at 36mb and everything runs smooth as silk! I have about 70 apps, FWIW and I am on an HTC Eris.

I agree with the OP that it would be swell to be able to use the SD card for apps, but as far as I know ALL smartphones have that limitation. I know for sure iPhone and Blackberry do. It sucks, I agree.

12. shawheim_a

hey juanstah i just went through my applications list and cleared the cache on the browser and a few others and my mem jumped up to 75mb. might wanna try that.

13. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Part of the discussion is other users chiming in with their experiences. I, along with some of the others who have replied, do not see everything as a problem in the same way you do. Yes, being restricted to installing apps to the phone memory can be a problem, but there's not really much discussion involved there. They will either fix it or they won't, but it hasn't really caused me any trouble yet and I have a lot of apps installed.

As far as the memory and application management goes - that's not necessarily a problem, that's just a personal beef you have with the OS. It's designed to run that way and it actually works quite well. It means I don't have to bother managing which applications are running. I can just freely go back and forth between them while letting the OS manage the use of the phone's resources. I'm not saying you're wrong for disliking it, just that it's not an "issue", it's intended, and some people do like it.

Again, not telling you you're wrong in your opinions, but simply for comparison's sake, I'll tell you that I only use a task killer maybe once every few days to kill some select programs. I haven't restarted my phone in at least a few weeks, and I don't bother to check how much memory is available because the phone runs just fine on a regular basis. So it's not necessarily a problem with every person's phone. I have a lot of apps, a lot of widgets, and I use the phone quite a bit, so it's not for lack of use. To call the platform unstable - to me - is ridiculous, because I came from a Blackberry (the pinnacle of business use and reliability, I would suppose) that required me to do regular battery pulls to keep the thing running normally.

I understand that you want to have an adult conversation (whatever that means), but the tone of your first post indicated to me that you were angry, disliked the platform and wanted a drastic reinvention of some of its core design elements. You also didn't leave us much room for debate. It was really just a list of complaints. So I've responded in the most reasonable way I can think of, by giving you my experience with Android (which has been excellent) as compared - briefly - to my previous few phones, which were all Blackberries.

The Android platform is not in such dire straights as you make it out to be. Few people have expressed such a dislike for the inability to close programs - for instance - once they realize that it works just fine. Finally, if people are jumping ship, there are just as many - if not more - people jumping ship to an Android powered phone because of the inherent flaws with whatever OS they had previously been using. They all have them.

14. vonfeldt7

vonfeldt7 Well-Known Member

I have to agree. I have none of the problems that the OP mentioned, maybe it's a Sumsung hardware issue, and not an Android issue.

vincentp, Thank you for summing it up better than I ever could. I couldn't agree more with your last post.

15. ocean1

ocean1 Well-Known Member

I get Force closes on my Droid three or four times a day. I have 15 apps and Home++ I wonder if its home++? I have to do battery pulls sometimes cuz I cant dial out. Not sure whats causing it

16. kabbie_mcfeely

kabbie_mcfeely Well-Known Member

My device...

Purrchased Oct 2008
    T-Mo G1 ROOTED
    Ver. 1.6
    CyanogenRom 4.2.11.1
    53.33mb Internal Memory (no apps)
    2.08GB of 2.38GB Secondary Sdcard (all apps)
    4.0GB of 4.99 GB Regular Sdcard

I do clear my cache every couple days.

I have never had force close issues, no lag, no OS issues and no other problems.

There are ways to fix all the issues you mention. Do some searches on here and Google. You would be surprised what you can find out.

Please don't bash what you don't understand.

17. dima1109

dima1109 Active Member

AFAIK Samsung Moment is the worst and the most sluggish Android phone out right now. No problems with Droid here - apps close in a timely fashion, with ~30 apps installed, space has not been an issue. The OP has only himself to blame.