• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Getting triangle with exclamation mark during ota update...pls help

Noooooo!

DO NOT ACCEPT AN OTA WHILE ROOTED!!!

This can Bork your phone or worse, brick city.
You rooted your phone and loaded a custom recovery. Once this is done you removed the phones means of properly accepting an OTA. The stock recovery's only purpose is to accept said OTA, but you loaded a custom recovery. There is no telling what might go wacky when this is done.

Please power off and then boot into hboot. (volume down and power for a few seconds)
Once you see the white screen with Andy riding a skateboard, this is hboot.
Post back with exactly what you see on this screen.
You never need to accept an OTA again, you're rooted. You can usually flash the updated stock Rom before It's available to non root users.

Go to the roms and kernels sticky at the top of the forum and look up the latest OTA rooted stock Rom. Download that and flash.
Pow! You're updated.
Or you can look up MikG, which is 10 times better. Either way, you will be updated. :)

Reactions: ocnbrze and sha4000
Upvote 0
How do I unroot or flash an OTA rom? Is there a link that will help. Thanks

Poop, I didn't look at the dates on the posts. :)

My bad. Yes there is a stock Rom from the latest Ota. Look at the top of this forum in the roms and kernels sticky. Look up sense roms and download the latest stock rom. Put it on your sd card. Boot to recovery, make a nandroid backup. Wipe everything except sd card. Wipe everything a couple of times just to be sure. :)
Select install from sd card, choose file to install, then select the latest updated Rom .zip.
Remember do not unzip the file.

Also always make a nandroid before you begin. :)

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
How do I unroot or flash an OTA rom? Is there a link that will help. Thanks

now that you are rooted never accept an ota. usually all you will have to do is wait for the devs to either cook up a rooted ota rom or they will incorporate the latest ota into their current rom that they are developing. and all you will have to do is just flash the rom and you are updated.

the issue with the ota's is that they usually will close up any previous exploit that was used to get root. also what could happen is that when you accept the ota it could unroot you. and if that happens then you will not be able to re-root and you will have to wait for the devs to figure out a new exploit to use and that could take a while. with he gingerbread ota, the devs took about 3-4 months before they found an exploit.

another thing that can happen when accepting an ota while being rooted is that it could put you in a weird state where you will have s-on but a custom recovery. this is one is a little harder to fix. also it could just brick your phone.

so the main thing is to never accept an ota while rooted. and this applies to all phones as well.

Upvote 0
thats weird.... i did the ota when gb was released and had 0 issue with it. I didnt like the rom, and flashed back the nand i made just before doing it... again, no issue. Im in no way going to contradict the advice these fellas are giving, as theyre quite adept in the android world, but i didnt have an issue

thats cuz your a doofus :p got lucky you did. I don't know though really after the last OTA and seeing all the numerous problems with SDCARDS as a result of it doubt I will ever agree to flash an OTA If I'm on a Non Rooted phone. And that was supposedly just a "Security" update to turn of CIQ.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I had the same problem - was rooted and accepted the HTC system update and got the exclaimation point in a triangle. I powered down by removing the battery then powered up and turned the phone on normally. It came up fine with everything rolled back to where I started before trying to upgrade. Now I know to unroot first, but no harm done.

Really no need to unroot the dev's will cook in the OTA fairly quick to their ROMS. Just make sure to turn off the Check for updates. Stock suxxx. Apple Suxxx. Windows Suxxx. Linux Does NOT :D And nor does Android :D

Did I mention Windows and Apple SUCK?:D:D:D

Upvote 0
Really no need to unroot the dev's will cook in the OTA fairly quick to their ROMS. Just make sure to turn off the Check for updates. Stock suxxx. Apple Suxxx. Windows Suxxx. Linux Does NOT :D And nor does Android :D

Did I mention Windows and Apple SUCK?:D:D:D
I'll drink to that. Totally unrelated to the thread, but I got some Jim Beam black label for Christmas. Pretty nice throwing some back during this Tarheel beatdown!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones