Getting two notifications for one messageSupport

Last Updated:

1. lakergirl21

lakergirl21 Active Member This Topic's Starter

For the last few weeks when I get a text message or email I get the regular notification but also another/different "icon" for the same message; so I end up with two icons in my notification bar. And the only way the "new" icon can be cleared from my notification bar is if I physically pull down the bar and press clear (even if I've read the message it stays there until I clear it). It's starting to drive me crazy...my ringtone even goes off twice. Anyone have an idea on why this is happening? I don't have any third party message apps installed....

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. mongstradamus

mongstradamus Well-Known Member

if you are using two different message apps like handcent and the regular messaging app , you will get notifications from both apps. What you need to do is disable the message notifications from one of the apps, so you will only receive notifications once. You need to do same thing with your email client if you are receiving more then 1 notification for each email you receive.

3. lakergirl21

Thanks for your response...but I don't have any third party apps installed. This is something that just started happening recently

4. mongstradamus

mongstradamus Well-Known Member

For you emails did you set it up somehow in the regular mail app and the gmail that may be why you get two notifications for email , other wise i am stumped :-(

5. lakergirl21

No, I didn't...it even happens with text messages. :confused:

6. incy1020

incy1020 Active Member

Hi:
    "Missed Call" app will also do this.
    If you post a screenshot with the indicators showing up it might help figure out what is doing it.

7. lakergirl21

I don't have a "missed call" app downloaded either and I don't have my phone rooted so I can't take a screenshot (I believe). But for example, there's the regular text message icon that looks like an envelope and the "new" one is an envelope with some lines on it to make it look like writing...kinda like a postcard looking thing.

8. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

This can happen with text messages, emails, calendar notifications, and anything else if you install a second app that can manage it which has its own notification system along with the stock app.

Basically, you installed something a few weeks ago back when this started. You need to sort through your apps list and figure it out, then go into its settings to turn off notifications (or turn off the notifications on the stock app if you want to use the 3rd-party app). Unfortunately I don't recognize that specific one from your description.

Example: this happened with me for calendar events and it turned out to be from Gemini calendar. Nothing in the notification identified what it was coming from.