Ghost Armor on the N1 - my experience

Last Updated:

1. odhinn

odhinn Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I ended up investing a fair amount of time researching skins for my N1 last week - mainly searching user forms and YouTube for top contenders for screen and body protectors. These are the ones which came up most often:

I chose Ghost Armor due to its lifetime warranty (replaced anytime just for the cost of shipping or ~$5), positive reviews, and lower price.

The purchase process was a breeze - address, credit card, etc. Received email confirmations of the order received, and order shipped, but no tracking number. Shipping was USPS, and took about 3 days to reach me.

Inside the box were instructions, two spray bottles of wetting solution, and a squeegee. I was surprised to see it was in 6 pieces total: screen, top back, bottom back, mid-back / sides, top front, and top back.

After reading all the reviews of the product, I knew what to do. It took about 1 hour for the installation, and then another hour afterwards pressing down the corners, edges, etc. to make sure they were sticking as the glue dried. Pay attention to the screen piece - there is a notch in it for the face sensor that turns the screen off while you're talking. That notch goes at the top of your screen.

The key steps to successfully installing Ghost Armor are as follows:

• Wash your hands thoroughly and don't touch your skin afterwards!
    • Don't touch the back (glue-side) of the protectors, just touch the front and the sides
    • Do it in the bathroom and run a hot shower first to humidy the room and keep the dust down
    • Take your time and clean all the dust off your N1 with a microfiber cloth
    • Take the time to get the corners right
    • Help it dry
    • Let it dry thoroughly before using!!!
    For the corners, if you don't place the end piece properly, the material will automatically bag and pucker as it curves. If you see it doing that, pick up that end piece and reposition it. Eventually it will stay and nothing will pucker. Keep pressing any small gaps down and they will eventually stay in place.

Make sure you help it dry. By that I mean after you install it, the glue is still wet and edges or corners have a tendency to fall away from the phone or gap up. If you hold these spots down for a few minutes they will stick in place. Do this enough times and they will stick permanently. So plan on spending the hour or so after you install the Ghost Armor pressing down and holding the corners, edges, etc. in place while the glue sets. Don't do this, and your Ghost Armor will eventually peel off. It's worth the time to do it right the first time.

Let it dry a full 48 hours! This was my mistake. I let it sit overnight turned off an unmolested. About 28 hours later, it looked dry, and everything was fine so I put it in my pocket and went out. Came back a few hours later and the back and sides were fine, but a I had a few large creases in the front. It looks like the screen hadn't fully dried and had been pushed around a bit over the course of the evening. Most of the ripples smoothed back out over a few days, but the creases haven't disappeared so I'm going to have to make use of my warranty and get a new screen piece. So this is my final piece of advice - make sure you give it a full 48 hours to dry before placing any stress on it (throwing it in your pocket, purse, etc.), especially the screen. It's hard to do, but it's worth the wait.

I love my newly protected N1. It's easier to grip, doesn't slide around as much, and there's absolutely NO orange peel effect. Two thumbs up from this reviewer.

Advertisement
  2. markie-m8

markie-m8 Well-Known Member

Great write up, I was thinking at the end where are the
    Pictures, guess you wouldn't see it. :)

3. odhinn

I took some pictures during the process along with some before and after but either my camera isn't good enough or (more likely) I'm not a good enough photographer to make the armor stand out enough to see clearly. At least it didn't look good on the small camera display. I'll take a look at them on my monitor when I have a chance and attach any that look useful.

4. omeyga

omeyga Well-Known Member

Aren't you worried that applying a liquid spray over your phone might change the color of the water indicators and void your warranty?

5. shftatsix

shftatsix Member

6. odhinn

You don't spray the phone, you spray the film. Obviously you take the battery out while you're doing this just to be safe, but you use as little spray as possible and are careful of the holes in the case (speaker, headset, mic, etc.) just in case.

7. odhinn

I considered them, but I liked that GhostArmor included the spray bottle and squeegee along with a lifetime warranty. I fully expect that something odd will happen to my ghost armor - it will get cloudy, scratched, start peeling, etc. so I'd rather be able to get it replaced for free rather than buying a new set.

8. webdave

webdave Active Member

I don't see how the Ghost Armor is cheaper than PhantomSkinz. PhantomSkinz is $16.72 for 2 full body skins shipped (after their 33% discount that has never gone away and advertised right on their site and free shipping). The Ghost Armor is $30.34 shipped for 1 full body skin. All of these places offer "lifetime" warranties.