• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "Ghost" Touches and Patch of Screen Not Registering

DarkFall01

Lurker
Nov 27, 2013
Hello everyone!

I was hoping someone could help me.

This issue may have been discussed on this forum, but I couldn't find the appropriate thread.

I've had the Nexus 4 for just over a year, which means it just got out of its warranty (U.S.).

For the past 3 weeks, I've noticed that scrolling pages in Chrome acted differently. When my finger touched the middle of the screen, the scrolling jumped. I thought this was some new "feature". This is all while still on 4.3.
Since Saturday it got worse because now I was having the "ghost touches".

I did the following:

- Reboot phone (didn't help)
- Started phone in safe mode (didn't help)
- Reset phone via the options menu (didn't help)
- Reset phone using volume bar and power button (didn't help)

Actually, I upgraded to KitKat pn Sunday and the phone is almost unusable at times. It registers touches on the screen, opening apps and making phone calls without me touching the phone. The only way I could call my wife yesterday was by using Google Now with voice commands!

The issues I'm experiencing are the same as in this URL: Nexus 4 Touch Screen issues - Imgur

I called Google and they told me my phone was out of warranty, so they couldn't help me. They recommended I speak to LG.
LG told me that I'd have to ship the phone in to Texas (only option) and they would try to fix it. I would have to pay for the repair and shipping.

The problem is that I used to live in the U.S. and I moved to Switzerland 4 months ago. The phone is not available here. Shipping it to LG and paying for repair would be more expensive than buying a new phone.

What options do I have? Has anyone come across a fix...even by rooting?
Anything else I can try?

Thanks in advance for the help!

That definitely is starting to sound like a legitimate hardware issue. That said, have you tried wiping everything and starting with a fresh factory image flash?

Hi codesplice. Thank you for your answer!
I hope it's not a hardware issue :(

What do you mean by a fresh factory image flash?
I tried both reset methods (from Android menu and using the volume down + power button). Are you referring to one of these methods or is there something additional I can try?

Upvote 0
Being out of warranty, you have some options if you are willing to give your own repair a try. If the display image is fine then I'd guess all you need is a new digitizer, which is relatively inexpensive, but a little tricky to replace.

LG Google Nexus 4 E960 Front Housing Replacement

I saw some listed on eBay as well. I suppose you would try and find one that would get to you fastest.

As for flashing the stock firmware, what you do is take a file and push it to your phone using adb (Android Debug Bridge) to replace the current firmware in the event it's become corrupted. However, the description of your problem really does sound like hardware.

Because the part isn't that expensive, maybe you can find a local repair shop to do it for you for a reasonable price.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones