• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root giantpune's custom kernel

I don't remember saying anything about 1.6GHz being optimum frequency. I honestly don't know which one is best or at what point we start to fry the thing. The cpu overclocking code is pulled from a kernel from another msm7x30 device. The table of frequencies contains some speeds higher than 1.6GHz, and you can enable them at compile time. Just because they are there doesn't mean its a good idea to use them. There are versions of our processor that are clocked at 1.4GHz stock. Those higher speeds may be intended for the faster version of our cpu.

FWIW, I'm a sissy and I run mine with a max of 1.4GHz.

Reactions: Artine
Upvote 0
I don't remember saying anything about 1.6GHz being optimum frequency. I honestly don't know which one is best or at what point we start to fry the thing. The cpu overclocking code is pulled from a kernel from another msm7x30 device. The table of frequencies contains some speeds higher than 1.6GHz, and you can enable them at compile time. Just because they are there doesn't mean its a good idea to use them. There are versions of our processor that are clocked at 1.4GHz stock. Those higher speeds may be intended for the faster version of our cpu.

FWIW, I'm a sissy and I run mine with a max of 1.4GHz.

Hence IIRC. It's been a while :p However, thank you for clearing that up :)

Upvote 0
It handles 1.6 too well and idc about battery life. My triumph went to 1.9 stable the zte warp people run at 1.8 it can be an experimental kernel id really appreciate maybe a 1.9 max enabled with 1.7 and 1.8 enabled. Im goodbwith fflashing just not making kernels. And I know its not as easy as flashing a triumph kernel lol

I agree the OE does handle 1.6 very well with no hiccups mapye an experemental 1.9GHz kernel isn't a bad idea??

Upvote 0
Okay guys stop. You don't need to depend on giantpune to do all of that for you. He isn't your mommy. Learn how to edit frequencies for over clocking in a kernel and do it yourself if you want it so bad. Hr isn't gonna do it because it isn't gonna work stable and will cause your phone to either crash or overheat badly. My HTC Evo V only runs at 1.5 and I tried setting it to 1.6 and it froze and rebooted immediately. That's most likely what will happen to this phone as well so I wouldn't waste your time.

Upvote 0
Okay guys stop. You don't need to depend on giantpune to do all of that for you. He isn't your mommy. Learn how to edit frequencies for over clocking in a kernel and do it yourself if you want it so bad. Hr isn't gonna do it because it isn't gonna work stable and will cause your phone to either crash or overheat badly. My HTC Evo V only runs at 1.5 and I tried setting it to 1.6 and it froze and rebooted immediately. That's most likely what will happen to this phone as well so I wouldn't waste your time.

Agreed. And that's also why I advise against anyone offering to overclock this thing further - instability is bound to hit at some point, and for some 1.6GHz does make it unstable (not any of my three OEs that I've had, but for some others this is the case).

Upvote 0
True but had any of you tried gta 3 couple hundred extra mhz maybe I can play smooth lol how do I edit the kernel itself to add higher values?

Ok, there was a post literally on the previous page, where Pune was kind enough to post a link of the kernel code, the same kernel code ours is based off of. Actually your immediate post right after that sparked me into wanting to try to figure it out, so I could hopefully just throw something out there to get you off Punes case. However I found out that with just me having a phone it's rather difficult. Now....Google is your best friend I found more than enough information on how to build kernels using computers, once again I don't have one, but if you want to take a look at some of the phone programs that can help with development then that's what was most recently being discussed over on the cyanogenMod development thread. Reading is key, my friend. As far as development goes, it's involved with coding, so read up on some Java and C/C++. Also there's a good book, your library probably has it, called App Inventor for android.

Upvote 0
Again - there's no point to OCing it higher than 1.6GHz. And, if 1.6GHz is already unstable for some OEs, that's red-flag reason enough to not OC it higher. If you want to play GTA 3, get a better phone, because 1.9GHz, observing current feedback, will almost surely render the OE completely unstable. 1.6GHz is already pushing it (too far in some cases). Anything higher, I'd wager, is way too much for this little device. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. You could OC a 4GHz quad-core PC processor to 4.8GHz stably, but you could potentially force it to OC to 5.5GHz (with some serious modding). Would that be wise? Hell no.

Upvote 0
I ran a stress test for an hour at 1.6 with no problem just figured we could so atleast try it. Maybe even 1.8 max. If I can figure out this kernel making ill test the 1.8 I only asked because if it handles max right now flawlessly it could probably go higher like all snapdragon S 2 chips, even the old mt4g does 1.8.. I can chill considering effort towards CM is way better than more speed

Upvote 0
I ran a stress test for an hour at 1.6 with no problem just figured we could so atleast try it. Maybe even 1.8 max. If I can figure out this kernel making ill test the 1.8 I only asked because if it handles max right now flawlessly it could probably go higher like all snapdragon S 2 chips, even the old mt4g does 1.8.. I can chill considering effort towards CM is way better than more speed

Again, for some OEs 1.6GHz is too much. My OE, and apparently your OE, can, but some already can't handle 1.6GHz. Whether or not a specific OE can handle it is irrelevant, if some are already at their limit at the current maximum, there's no reason to push it further. And, while mine performs admirably at 1.6GHz as well, and has had that maximum since it was first available (ergo, months of stress testing vs an hour), I wouldn't dare put it any higher since that frequency is already causing instability for other OEs. Just because mine can handle what others can't, doesn't mean I should push it higher simply because its possible - I'd rather not fry the little thing. Heck, even giantpune - who, if anyone needs reminder, opened up overclocking to 1.6GHz - said that he/she only uses up to 1.4GHz.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
Again, for some OEs 1.6GHz is too much. My OE, and apparently your OE, can, but some already can't handle 1.6GHz. Whether or not a specific OE can handle it is irrelevant, if some are already at their limit at the current maximum, there's no reason to push it further. And, while mine performs admirably at 1.6GHz as well, and has had that maximum since it was first available (ergo, months of stress testing vs an hour), I wouldn't dare put it any higher since that frequency is already causing instability for other OEs. Just because mine can handle what others can't, doesn't mean I should push it higher simply because its possible - I'd rather not fry the little thing. Heck, even giantpune - who, if anyone needs reminder, opened up overclocking to 1.6GHz - said that he/she only uses up to 1.4GHz.

Well said!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones