• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root giantpune's custom kernel

Hey. I'm replying on my phone. Still out. Sorry but I'm uploading the boot.img. I'd have posted it earlier but I was being rushed out the door. I'm also on a 3G connection on my computer. I have a Sprint air card. Not a regular connection. I'm living with my parents and they won't get a regular connection. I know it sounds weird but hey. Anyway, I'll post that link in a half hour or so. Sorry. Don't wanna piss anyone off.

No need for a super in depth explanation, I'm sure there's always a viable reason for these things, just wondering that's all;)

Upvote 0
Has anybody had any experience with the freexperia/semc kernel? I borrowed their cpufreq code and dropped it into our kernel and it seems like the overclocking stuff works. Without any other modifications or tweeking, its running at 1.6GHz. But if anybody knows any reason we shouldn't use this one (is it unstable, ... ), then I'll look elsewhere.

Benchmark with AnTuTu Benchmark is 4033. I didn't do one with a stock kernel to compare against, though.
20120926224540.jpg
20120926230002.jpg

Upvote 0
Antutu benchmark - Modified stock kernel without OC:
Total score 2870
CPU: 998 (integer: 696, float-point: 302)
GPU: 1350
RAM:307
IO: 215

Antutu benchmark - Modified stock kernel with OC:
Total score 3680
CPU: 1562 (integer: 1089, float-point: 473)
GPU: 1370
RAM:478
IO: 270

CF Bench - Modified stock kernel without OC:
Overall Score: 2961
Native Score: 4610
Java Score: 1862
Native MIPS: 382
Java MIPS: 79
Native MSFLOPS: 89
Java MSFLOPS: 60
Native MDFLOPS: 55
Java MDFLOPS: 42

CF Bench - Modified stock kernel with OC:
Overall Score: 4334
Native Score: 6902
Java Score: 2623
Native MIPS: 605
Java MIPS: 121
Native MSFLOPS: 137
Java MSFLOPS: 96
Native MDFLOPS: 86
Java MDFLOPS: 66

Quadrant Standard Edition - Modified stock kernel without OC:
Total: 2016
CPU: 2011
Mem: 922
I/O: 4273
2D: 1023
3D: 1849

Quadrant Standard Edition - Modified stock kernel with OC:
Total: 2610
CPU: 3134
Mem: 1159
I/O: 5486
2D: 1014
3D: 2257

Vellamo - Modified stock kernel without OC:
"Metal": 265

Vellamo - Modified stock kernel with OC:
"Metal": 365

Upvote 0
Hmm. I just noticed that the "CPU Master" and "AnTuTu" (both come from the same person) are garbage. If anybody has installed those, you may want to delete them and reboot your phone. Aside from setting the cpu frequency like they're supposed to, they also change the permissions of some sysfs files to 0666 for some stupid reason (basically everything inside /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/). The scaling itself seems to work well, its just this app to let you control it is garbage.

Does anybody have any free, adfree, lightweight apps for this purpose that arent junk?

Upvote 0
Hmm. I just noticed that the "CPU Master" and "AnTuTu" (both come from the same person) are garbage. If anybody has installed those, you may want to delete them and reboot your phone. Aside from setting the cpu frequency like they're supposed to, they also change the permissions of some sysfs files to 0666 for some stupid reason (basically everything inside /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/). The scaling itself seems to work well, its just this app to let you control it is garbage.

Does anybody have any free, adfree, lightweight apps for this purpose that arent junk?

You could try setcpu SetCPU for Root Users [2.2.4] Undervolting and more 07/07/2011 - xda-developers

Upvote 0
First post updated with link to one that supports overclocking.

I've got the source uploading to svn right now. I can't say how long it will take to upload on my crappy connection. It will be here when its done. vm696-pernel - Custom kernel for vm696 android phone - Google Project Hosting

I got a 2620 benchmark on Quadrant, whatever that means. It put us right between the Galaxy Nexus and the Galaxy Tab 10.1

Reactions: ktb83
Upvote 0
I'm having a bit of trouble uploading the source for this monster. The base from LG is like 500MB. I tried with svn and git and both of them get like half way done and then give up. If somebody is around that knows how to use git and wants to help out, you can grab the kernel source (vm696 v5) from LG and I'll add you to the repo so you can push the huge base in there. I can push the few files I modified in after that.

EDIT: done.

Upvote 0
i have lurked this forum for a long time, over a year now, and as much of my lurking has come from google search results i never felt compelled to register or say thanks in anyway, but just continue on with what i was doing. things have changed. giantpune, whoever you are, your devotion to pulling this phone apart has literally inspired me. i got the phone at the first of may, and was one of the first people to google "optimus elite at 1ghz?" (i know i was among the first because it was almost a week before the search actually yeilded appropriate results). i was ecstatic to see i wasnt the only one, and as i got my elite as a free replacement for a wildfire s from VM, i was doubly happy, hoping that since the wildfire went from 600 to i think 824 mhz, if this was stock, would i see 1.3/1.4 ghz? but there wasnt any movement for awhile, and even the first rooting guides involved almost a gb of downloads, over an hour of steps, consuming the heart of a lamb before dawn, all sorts of crazy stuff i wasnt in to. well enter last week, i decide to start haunting this forum again, and lo.... apk rooting, recovery, roms, and now this.... 1 point fking 6 ghz.... i can't just leech this.... i owe you personally for this, so if you pm me your paypal, i will send you a fee and hope that my post inspires others to do the same. these phones would BLOW if it wasnt for ppl like you... (there are others, leslie,curtis,ktb,kwknott,hashtag, prolly some im forgetting sorry and still thank you)

Reactions: ktb83
Upvote 0
i have lurked this forum for a long time, over a year now, and as much of my lurking has come from google search results i never felt compelled to register or say thanks in anyway, but just continue on with what i was doing. things have changed. giantpune, whoever you are, your devotion to pulling this phone apart has literally inspired me. i got the phone at the first of may, and was one of the first people to google "optimus elite at 1ghz?" (i know i was among the first because it was almost a week before the search actually yeilded appropriate results). i was ecstatic to see i wasnt the only one, and as i got my elite as a free replacement for a wildfire s from VM, i was doubly happy, hoping that since the wildfire went from 600 to i think 824 mhz, if this was stock, would i see 1.3/1.4 ghz? but there wasnt any movement for awhile, and even the first rooting guides involved almost a gb of downloads, over an hour of steps, consuming the heart of a lamb before dawn, all sorts of crazy stuff i wasnt in to. well enter last week, i decide to start haunting this forum again, and lo.... apk rooting, recovery, roms, and now this.... 1 point fking 6 ghz.... i can't just leech this.... i owe you personally for this, so if you pm me your paypal, i will send you a fee and hope that my post inspires others to do the same. these phones would BLOW if it wasnt for ppl like you... (there are others, leslie,curtis,ktb,kwknott,hashtag, prolly some im forgetting sorry and still thank you)

He posted his paypal here ... http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?p=4991681

Still new to android but how do you install the oc kernel? I have tried my best but still no luck. I used terminal emulator to push it to mmcblk0p9 (dd if=/sdcard/boot_lgoe_gpkoc_9_26_22_37.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p9) if that's correct. Phone boots up normally with no issues. Yes, the bin is on the root of the internal sd card, just don't get what I'm doin wrong. Any help?

Yep that's how you do it.. download cpuspy from store and run. Phone should be at 1.6ghz

Upvote 0
Still new to android but how do you install the oc kernel? I have tried my best but still no luck. I used terminal emulator to push it to mmcblk0p9 (dd if=/sdcard/boot_lgoe_gpkoc_9_26_22_37.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p9) if that's correct. Phone boots up normally with no issues. Yes, the bin is on the root of the internal sd card, just don't get what I'm doin wrong. Any help?

That looks correct. What is the response you get in terminal emulator after running that command?

What makes you think it's not working?

Are you running CWM? If so, you can try the version from the second post.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones