GiffGaff SIM Phone says 02 is unavailable but 02 website says coverage is fineSupport

Last Updated: 2012-07-25 02:56:40
  1. sunnybird

sunnybird New Member

Hello, I have a Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray which was previously locked to Orange, but I got it unlocked so that I could use my GiffGaff SIM with it. At first I had a few problems setting it up, but then found a app called -Tweaker- which helped set up the internet, and APN.

Everything worked fine for about 3 days, but now I can't make calls or send msgs, there is an error icon -Selected network 02 unavailable-. The internet works fine though, and I'm not on Wifi. It also now says -Emergency calls only- !
    I've checked my postcode on the 02 website and it's fine, says there are no problems. I have enough credit.

I put my SIM into an old phone, and lots of messages came through, and I was able to make calls. So it must be the phone, not the network?

Any ideas? I've already asked on GiffGaff forums, but no luck.

Help!

Advertisement
  2. Sam-SonyXperia

Sam-SonyXperia Well-Known Member

That is very odd, particularly that you have a data connection but no other form of connection. In this case to at least rule the phone out it would be worth running a software update.

1. Before you start you have to download the PC Companion software from Download for PC - Sony Smartphones (UK)
    and install it on your PC.
    2. Once installed on your PC, double-click the PC Companion icon on your desktop to start the update.
    Note! For some models you will be prompted to do a backup prior to the update and then restore.
    3. Install and open PC Companion then select Support Zone.
    4. Phone Software Update.
    5. Start.
    6. Repair Phone
    7. Continue
    8. Accept data removal
    9. Next
    10. Wait for prepare
    11. Select Phone
    12. Follow the connectionn steps