1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Gifs as live wallpaper???Support

1. Tracer

Tracer Member

I was curious if u could use gifs as live wallpaper........? If so how...

Advertisement
    :
    ghost0211 likes this.
  2. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

I don't believe so, but... why would you want to? GIF is an ancient, archaic format that only supports 256 colors. It would look horrible on your Captivate compared to any other background format.

Anyhow, "Live wallpapers" aren't "wallpapers" as much as they are applications, so it's much more-complicated than an animated GIF.
  3. Smoghog

Smoghog Well-Known Member

You could, however, use an animated .gif as a bootup animation, if you really wanted to. I ran across a thread on xda a while back about putting your own startup animations together and it would essentially involve breaking the .gif into its individual frames, saving each frame as a separate .png file, numbered in the proper manner for the phone to read. Then you can use a particular piece of software to unpack the existing/stock animation and reassemble it with your new frames in place of the old ones. I can't remember what the format and info is for the animation or the software, but I know it's doable. Try searching for it over on the xda forums. If I run across it again, I'll post the link here.
  4. Tracer

Tracer Member

I was just trying to find or make different live wallpapers than what comes stock with the Captivate. Gifs were the only thing I could think of or come close to live wallpapers.
  5. redninja

redninja Well-Known Member

thers an app called wally that will set them as wallpaper... i cant get it to work very good though
  6. Brickman

Brickman Member

The Wally program works great for me!!! I have some long gifs and it is running them flawlessly. It is not eating my resources, although it will tend to drain the battery faster. It is still a cool option to have on the phone.
  7. Jctatis

Jctatis New Member

whats the name of the app? the correct name cuz looking for wally :/

or link?
  8. monzka

monzka New Member

Use this app works for me
    animgif live wallpaper 2
  9. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

Yup. Been using that for the past year, except I have been having a hard time getting animated gifs that are HD.