• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Ginger Villain Browser - display problem

ricrea

Feb 6, 2011
Hello,

I installed Ginger Villain with help from the good people here. loving it, my benchmark is 4 times higher than on Froyo, it is brilliant, well reccomended.

Anyhow, been using the browser, I always use stock and always view pages in normal view.

To try and make the screen NOT in mobile view of any type, I chose IE6 in user agent in the settings.

When I tried to use Facebook, it would not accept the older version of Internet Explorer, so I chose Linux, of which I know little about, but this did enable all pages to be viewed and in a normal 'PC' style.

My problem is, this does not auto size the text to fit what size screen I currently use, for example, when reading status updates or posts in forums, I am having to increase/decrease my phone scaling to fit the text in screen and make readable. In Froyo, this would be done automatically, not matter how large the writing was due to being zoomed in.

Is there something to work around this, or is one of the other user agents more efficient, or can IE6 be updated?

Thanks

I'm a bit confucsed.

My unrooted Desire, was fine using the stock browser, with mobile view unchecked, all, including Facebook, were being 'text wrapped' if I have used the correct term, meaning that text wass realigned to fit the screen size i had chosen.

Now I'm using GV, which I assume will have the basics of Gingerbread. I can't fathom that they took this feature out of the browser in this android os.

The most important thing for me apart from calls and texts is web surfing, and I as many look at Facebook the most.

To think the stock browser is not capable of making the text fit the screen is incomprehensible. It may be more complicated, nut there must be a way...I like the stock bookmarks and use them all the time so I really don't want to have to use a different browser for such a standard feature of smartphones.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
I just tried Wikipedia and a few other sites where I read a lot.

I have to keep moving the screen left and right to read instead of just scrolling down.

This a monumental problem! In renders my phone obsolete by specification using Ginger Villain, the latest version to!?!?!?

Upvote 0
Nothing has been taken out of the stock android browser. I think you are comparing with HTC's customised browser rather than the Froyo android browser.

I can't say about facebook specifically as I don't have a FB account, but the stock browser certainly can zoom and reflow on other sites. I have it set to Desktop user agent and to open pages in overview mode - this way it starts zoomed out but a double tap will zoom in and reflow. You can turn overview off and set the default zoom level. But it may be that FB's page design throws it.

If it doesn't suit you, try some other browsers - there are plenty to choose from :)

Upvote 0
Hadron, thank you for your insight. SUroot, thank you also.

:mad::mad::mad:I just typed the most researched and revised
post, then deleted it by accident, so here goes again.
:mad::mad::mad:

Hadron, yes I was referring to the HTC stock browser for my Desire, I was not aware it differed from the standard Froyo release, was it HTC's tweak that made it, so so superior IMHO.
Nevertheless, this version did have the automatic smooth text wrapping, that aligned text from any field in any section of the webpage to fit within the section of page I had zoomed into, always by pinch zoom, making reading the never ending pages a pleasure by simply down.

I tried the double tap method. This is possible on both stock on Ginger Villaian and Dolphin.
The problem with this, is that it only aligned text in the field chosen, for example, I randomly went to a website about cheese, one about pasta (guess what I had for dinner!), and, my beloved Facebook. I found that although this was effective for reading portions of text, with the web pages I chose to view with sporadic articles such as news reels, blogs, social sites etc this is rather tedious, having to either pinch zoom out then zoom back in a bit and double tap, or double tap the next section I desire, letting the screen then zoom itself right out then double tapping again...it takes the joy out of using my phone as a browser.

I believe it is referred to as dynamic reflow.

I let my pal have a go on it, just to make sure I'm not being too anal about it all, his response - awful.

If GV really has made this key feature redundant, can anyone please suggest a browser known to wrap text in a way similar to the original HTC desire browser? This really is a deal breaker for me, an avid web page reader. I have researched Skyfire, Opera, Dolphin etc..

I would be very grateful!! I'm sorry my posts may be unnecessarily long, I have difficulty simplifying...

Upvote 0
It's nothing to do with GV. It's how the android browser works across 100s of devices since android began. HTC made their own browser for sense phones. It only works on sense roms though, so that may be your best bet.

I haven't used the sense browser for some time but I remember preferring the android browser to sense. Many things were more intuitive and quicker, like opening and closing new windows for example.

I've never really used pinch in the browser as it seems kind of hap hazard, but double tap has always worked fine for me

Upvote 0
It's nothing to do with GV. It's how the android browser works across 100s of devices since android began. HTC made their own browser for sense phones. It only works on sense roms though, so that may be your best bet.

I haven't used the sense browser for some time but I remember preferring the android browser to sense. Many things were more intuitive and quicker, like opening and closing new windows for example.

I've never really used pinch in the browser as it seems kind of hap hazard, but double tap has always worked fine for me
this
GV is not a sense rom, if you like the features of sense you will need to use a sense rom

just tested the double tap method on Miren and that also reflows. you can stroll down and it reflows the lot

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones