• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread 2.3 was here, then gone, now it's back

When will VZW push a fixed GB OTA

• 10/11/11

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10/17/11

• 10/24/11

• 10/31/11

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • 11/07/11

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 11/14/111

Votes: 22 20.6%
  • 11/21/11

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Don't care (rooted already, etc)

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • Before Christmas

Votes: 12 11.2%
  • Never, the lobsters ate all the testers so it got cancelled

Votes: 11 10.3%
  • It isn't coming at all now

Votes: 13 12.1%
  • Any minute now

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Immediately after Jimmy Hoffa's body is found

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • The day after the apocalypse

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Sometime after the sun goes supernova

Votes: 9 8.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've not seen one, but we had a really long and fun thread for the Froyo waiting room... are we going to have a "waiting room"/speculation thread on Gingerbread for the Incredible (for those of us who have not rooted or are waiting to root)
Sure, we can have one. Matter of fact, I'll just make this the speculation thread for now.:p

(Editing your title)

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
I speculate it will be March or April before we see Gingerbread, if we see it at all. And this is based on if Google announces it in the next week or so or they announce it next month. It took Verizon and HTC about 3 months after Google announced Froyo to push it to the Incredible. So I would expect about that same time frame but probably longer since Google is rumored to be revamping so much with Gingerbread. And it might be longer because HTC might want to push the new version of Sense along with Gingerbread, if they don't do it before they update us to Gingerbread. So, I'm not expecting this update to come any time in the near future. But by the time I'm speculating our phones will probably be so far beyond obsolete it will be hilarous. So there is always the chance we may not even get it at all.

Upvote 0
Can't wait for gingerbread :D Anyone have any legitimate guesses on when us Inc users could see it in an OTA? Also, what are the main features that everyone is looking forward to??

Keeping in mind the whole "Incredible might be phased out by 3/11" situation, I am guessing that around then is when we will start hearing rumors of people seeing it in the wild with the actual update coming pretty close to June or July-ish. By then though, I will have moved on to something with 4G, front cam, >1GHz CPU, and ≥ 4.0" screen, especially if the battery issues are not addressed.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I speculate it will be March or April before we see Gingerbread, if we see it at all. And this is based on if Google announces it in the next week or so or they announce it next month. It took Verizon and HTC about 3 months after Google announced Froyo to push it to the Incredible. So I would expect about that same time frame but probably longer since Google is rumored to be revamping so much with Gingerbread. And it might be longer because HTC might want to push the new version of Sense along with Gingerbread, if they don't do it before they update us to Gingerbread. So, I'm not expecting this update to come any time in the near future. But by the time I'm speculating our phones will probably be so far beyond obsolete it will be hilarous. So there is always the chance we may not even get it at all.

I was under the impression that Gingerbread eliminated the need for a 3rd party GUI like Sense. Why don't we just get Gingerbread plain without the frosting?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones