1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Gingerbread 2.3

1. gotdmw

gotdmw Well-Known Member

I keep hearing about this gingerbread android 2.3 , how can i get this? or is it not available?

Advertisement
  2. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, you will not get Android 2.3 for the Sprint HTC Hero automatically through an OTA update from Sprint or HTC. If you want Android 2.3, you will need to root your handset and flash the ROM of it.

Head over to the rooting section of this forum for information about the above. Also, I would wait until the Android 2.3 ROMs become stable enough to use as a daily driver.
  3. MahaloCat

MahaloCat Well-Known Member

+1 -
    Nothing that works Yet. Only a shell - but it is promising.
  4. androidtp

androidtp Well-Known Member

so exciting :D *claps hands*
  5. MahaloCat

Ha....it is...Trying not to get my hopes up....
    Likely will be too big to run well on the Hero -
    Good that AOSP and Deca are on it.

I have a feeling we MAY be maxed out on Froyo -
    Hope Im wrong.
  6. LBPHeretic

I think the Sprint HTC Hero will have no issues with running Android 2.3. Google even said that it has similar requirements to Android 2.2, which runs quite nicely on our handsets. ;)

To further bolster my case, I think even the T-Mobile HTC G1 is getting a version of Android 2.3 from ROM developers. If the original Android smartphone can handle it, then ours should have no problem given the extra internal memory. :D
  7. MahaloCat

well- I may have to eat my words...
    Flashed the latest Alpha test....besides a few bugs....it is slick...and very fast.
  8. gotdmw

gotdmw Well-Known Member

i have not done the whole root thing, but i probably need to, since my hero is dragging ass slow, especially with angry birds. ive heard rooting can drastically improve performance, what do u guys think?
  9. andygu3

andygu3 Well-Known Member

Yes it will improve performance;)

Angry Birds on the other hand is still a little choppy, even overclocked to 768
  10. LBPHeretic

There is supposedly a lower-end CPU version of Angry Birds coming out eventually. That would probably have a dramatic effect on performance for our handsets due to our aging hardware specifications.

That being said, I watched my friend play Angry Birds on his CyanogenMod 6.1 Sprint HTC Hero, and it was kind of choppy, but still playable. I think his handset's CPU was only clocked at 691 MHz though.
  11. andygu3

Turning on airplane mode, has helped though;)
  12. LBPHeretic

Yeah, I told him that too. He said he would try that the next time he plays the game.

Those ads are a killer. They sap those CPU cycles like there is no tomorrow.
  13. MahaloCat

Impaler has an Ad Free Verision in his Sig Line....
  14. andygu3

Just fyi, the aospmod rom is adfree