Gingerbread 3.0 Discussion threadGeneral

Last Updated:

1. jbuck1984

jbuck1984 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Android 3.0 is Honeycomb, Gingerbread 2.3?

Looks like gingerbread is rumored not to be the overhauled UI. That makes more sense for us smartphone owners. Gingerbread actually being the successor of 2.2 and fixing a lot of pain points that just couldn't make it into the 2.2 build.

Interesting. /Discuss

Advertisement
  2. NoShftShck16

NoShftShck16 Well-Known Member

dont delete.

I heard that either 3.0 or 3.2 would be a tablet only version of Android and the other version would be the mobile equivalent.

Maybe Gingerbread is going to mobile and Honeycomb is going to tablets or vice versa.

3. pucrepeap

pucrepeap Well-Known Member

So are you saying Gingerbread will be like android 2.3? ...and that we should be expecting a different name for 3.0 which is slated for an end of year release?

4. NoShftShck16

NoShftShck16 Well-Known Member

I guess, I think there will be a <insert version number of your choosing> release but there will be a tablet version and a mobile version, each receiving their own names.

5. zemerick

zemerick Well-Known Member

Well they always do it in alphabetical order and the mobile version is supposed to be 3.4, so that would mean something starting with I or higher ( depending on how exactly the naming is done on the tablet 3.0+ versions. Will they have more than 1 name or not? )

yes and no. He is saying 3.0 IS named "Honeycomb" and since G comes before H, then "Gingerbread" has to be an update BEFORE 3.0 ( hence his guess of 2.3 as a successor to Froyo's 2.2 )

6. Mahalo

Mahalo Well-Known Member

Check the link above the OP for source

7. suXor

suXor Well-Known Member

No one knows for sure. The alignment of numbers to Gingerbread and Honeycomb are not yet confirmed. It has been said far more times that Gingerbread will be 3.0 and Honeycomb will be 3.5 as opposed to the one statement from 'phonedog' about the OP's claim.

8. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

For any future posts in this thread, I kindly ask that you please keep it civil, on topic, and relevant. Thank you!

9. AeolianReflex

AeolianReflex Well-Known Member

All seemed to be pretty civil so far to me.... :confused:

10. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

..which is why I posted asking that all future posts continue to be civil. Unfortunately, several posts in this thread were deleted due to their inflammatory nature.

GrandMasterB likes this.
  11. DataSchmuck

DataSchmuck Active Member

Me want Honeycomb!

No but seriously, I don't get why they have to skip numbers, like from 1.6 to 2.0 and 2.2 or 2.3 to 3.0?
    I remember the dare releases were in order (V05, V06, V07)

Anyway, I have a feeling honeycomb will be big, yeah yeah yeah...

Sorry, I can't help it, best to get it all out now.

12. azak

azak Well-Known Member

Makes sense: first we had Cupcake (1.5), then Donut (1.6), then Eclair (2.0), Frozen Yogurt (2.2)...Honeycomb, and after that Ice Cream maybe?:p

13. AGWednesday

AGWednesday Well-Known Member

No one has said that Gingerbread won't be a UI overhaul. In fact, the article says:
    Google has said that Gingerbread will be a complete UI overhaul meant to remove the need for skins. Google never said that Gingerbread would be version number 3.0, though. That was just a rumor that the blogosphere came up with and that Google is now setting straight.