• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread (aka Android 2.3) on Evo!

Are you excited for Gingerbread?!?

• Hell yeah!

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Hell no!

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Evo won't be on the bleeding edge in 6 months, but it'll still be a very good phone and a likely A3.0 upgrade. The question will be what Sprint and HTC want. I don't think Evo will get cast aside quite like the Hero b/c Hero wasn't considered for Froyo because it's just not up to the specs required.

Doesn't matter to me though, I'm sure Froyo will be more than an adequate upgrate until at least '12 when it may be time for a new phone that's Wimax/LTE/3G capable.

Upvote 0
looking at the hero, i would say yes, but probably very late in the game. who knows though, maybe since sprint is pushing this evo so much and since the user base will probably be fairly large, htc will devote more time to making sure this device is supported. either way, im sure the guys over at xda will get the job done for those of us who root.

Upvote 0
I read that one of the changes in Gingerbread is that it will disable customizations like Motoblur or Sense. All the phones will have Google UI

Disable? No.

Offer the carriers/phone makers a UI that they don't feel the need to replace? Absolutely.

Will all carriers use the default UI instead of their own? No.

Can Google really stop them? No, because of the nature of the OS and that it's wide open for anyone to use. If Google uses a license that prevents this, a carrier can simply fork a version of the OS that doesn't break their UI and call it something else other than Android.

In this case, Google will be working hard to persuade carriers to use their UI, but the definitely won't be laying down the law to them. Look what happened to them the last time they tried to change the way carriers work...

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
All I can say is, unless my Evo starts to give a ton of issues (which I doubt), or the new device has improved battery life by 50%... Evo will stay in my pocket for a great while.

Agreed. As it is right now the EVO does 100% of what I need, looks good and runs fast. I can't see any OS or apps coming out in the near or semi near future that would change it.

The EVO can already do more than the majority of other phones out there and it will be a long time until it falls out of the top 70-80-90% I bet.

Upvote 0
yea the evo seems to be sprints flag ship phone so as of now it seems as though sprint is going to focus a lot of their attention on the evo and keep it up to date so that it remains a worth competitor with whatever is coming out. but that can change very quickly.. i just hope that these super phones dont come out for a while and if they do that sprint gets some of them because i was previously on tmobile and they always got the worst phones

I know you posted that awhile ago now. I cant speak for how T-Mobile was a few years back, but these days they have the best phone selection around, and they are always first out the gate. If i leave Sprint I'll definitely be hopping over to T-Mobile. Especially being a GSM provider you can basically use any phone you want as long as its unlocked.

Upvote 0
I know you posted that awhile ago now. I cant speak for how T-Mobile was a few years back, but these days they have the best phone selection around, and they are always first out the gate. If i leave Sprint I'll definitely be hopping over to T-Mobile. Especially being a GSM provider you can basically use any phone you want as long as its unlocked.

that is not true about using any unlocked phone on tmobile. It is only true for voice call and data at 1x non evdo speeds. SO if you take an Iphone 3g, 3gs or 4g you will only be able to use voice and slower 1x speeds for data as ATT and T-Mobile use different bands for 3g and umts/hspda+

Upvote 0
Alright, I am a bit confused, we are talking about two things here and I will like to understand what the question is really before I jump in to give my full answer.
“Android 3.0 Gingerbread?” The last time I checked, the next Android OS which is expected to be released sometime this month is Android 2.3 Gingerbread not 3.0.
Android 3.0 if I recall correctly is Honeycomb which is expected sometime next year. I also understand that this is the OS that is fully optimized for Tablets.
Now which one of this two are we talking about here, “Android 2.3 Gingerbread” or “Android 3.0 Honeycomb?”
If the question is if Evo is going to be getting Android 2.3 Gingerbread, then I will say why not. I believe it has all the requirements that are needed to run Gingerbread, but if the question is if Evo will be getting Honeycomb?, now that is the one I am not too sure of.

Thank you. I wanted to slap some of these early posters from June thinking 3.0 = Gingerbread.
I dont see why we would not get Gingerbread (2.3). Honeycomb (3.0) is probably a no no since it does not play well with skins like Sense.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones