• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread Check In!

So I downloaded the upate, has anyone noticed any differences?
Be sure to do a factory reset after you have downloaded Gingerbread 2.3.3 with the latest build number 4.24.651.1 Nothing on your SD card will be affected but it will delete all apps you have downloaded. Your Evo 4G will thank you for the reset by turning back into a superfast flawless phone.

Upvote 0
Saturday, July 23rd... 1:23pm PST. No update to Gingerbread yet... Nevada. I am still on 2.2

You're not rooted, are you? Rooted phones don't get the OTA updates like non-rooted phones.

If you're not rooted the first thing you have to do is update your firmware. IIRC you cannot get the Gingerbread update until your firmware is up to date. But everyone on a non-rooted Evo should have gotten he update by now.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
You're not rooted, are you? Rooted phones don't get the OTA updates like non-rooted phones.

If you're not rooted the first thing you have to do is update your firmware. IIRC you cannot get the Gingerbread update until your firmware is up to date. But everyone on a non-rooted Evo should have gotten he update by now.

No, I am not rooted at all. I am updated as far as I can tell..

Android Version, 2.2
Baseband Version, 2.15.00.09.01
Kernel Version, 2.6.32.15-ge2fb08e
Software Number, 3.29.651.5

System Upgrade, 3.70.651.1

I have never rooted or plan to at all. Will I have to go to Sprint to get the update?

Upvote 0
Be sure to do a factory reset after you have downloaded Gingerbread 2.3.3 with the latest build number 4.24.651.1 Nothing on your SD card will be affected but it will delete all apps you have downloaded. Your Evo 4G will thank you for the reset by turning back into a superfast flawless phone.

Is this really necessarily a must? Its seems ever since me and my wife updated to the great bread of ginger , it seems almost everytime we exit an app or anything the screen goes with with the green HTC logo and then has the loading rectangle box for a few seconds before the phone can do anything else.

And if I do a factory rest wont the updates go back to out of the box versions?

Upvote 0
Is this really necessarily a must? Its seems ever since me and my wife updated to the great bread of ginger , it seems almost everytime we exit an app or anything the screen goes with with the green HTC logo and then has the loading rectangle box for a few seconds before the phone can do anything else.

And if I do a factory rest wont the updates go back to out of the box versions?
I finally let Sprint do the update and all related maintenance fixes yesterday. After a few hours of replacing apps and layout, everything is fine except for the same issue you have. Unless I back out screen by screen, I get the HTC logo and a "minor reboot". Other than that, I'm happy with Gingerbread...so far.

Upvote 0
I finally let Sprint do the update and all related maintenance fixes yesterday. After a few hours of replacing apps and layout, everything is fine except for the same issue you have. Unless I back out screen by screen, I get the HTC logo and a "minor reboot". Other than that, I'm happy with Gingerbread...so far.

Did the factory reset last night and the phone is pure kick a** now. No more HTC screen or minor rebbot after backing out of things anymore and the phone is lightning fast.....

It was a pain in the but DLing all my apps and putting the phone settings back to my liking , but it was well worth it. Going to do the same to my wife's phone tomorrow....:D

Upvote 0
What is this update everyone is talking about..and what kind of update are we suppose to be getting.

I wouldn't know and it has been 9 months and still NO Gingerbread update on my phone. Does anyone know what I can do or should I just give up and buy a new phone? I hate buying a new phone to get new features but some how I am screwed out of gingerbread with this one. Android Version, 2.2 Baseband Version, 2.15.00.09.01 Kernel Version, 2.6.32.15-ge2fb08e Software Number, 3.29.651.5 System Upgrade, 3.70.651.1

Upvote 0
I wouldn't know and it has been 9 months and still NO Gingerbread update on my phone. Does anyone know what I can do or should I just give up and buy a new phone? I hate buying a new phone to get new features but some how I am screwed out of gingerbread with this one. Android Version, 2.2 Baseband Version, 2.15.00.09.01 Kernel Version, 2.6.32.15-ge2fb08e Software Number, 3.29.651.5 System Upgrade, 3.70.651.1
If you go to Settings -> System Updates -> HTC Software Updates, is the box checked to receive them automatically? Have you tried pressing the "Check Now" button? What happens? If that doesn't work, we can still get you the latest official update :).

Upvote 0
I got my update almost a month ago and it has been good for me.

Until the update, my EVO 4G had started doing some screwy things, like typing all by itself. As I detailed in other posts, I figured there was something seriously wrong with my phone.

Then the OTA update came and seemed to have cleared up my problems.

The only problem I do seem to have is the minor reboots after using the browser for an extended period of time. My guess it is the Android system trying to dump full temporary memory. While it is annoying, it is a minor annoyance.

So for the most part, I do like Gingerbread.

On question, I see everyone saying that a Factory Reset is recommend. Is this something I really need to do ?

I am hesitant to do it because I really do not want to have to reinstall a bunch of my app and redo my current setting.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones