• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread Check In!

I just wanna know why if were good enough to be first 4g phone ever ...netflix on one of only 5 phones at first ....2nd phone to receive gingerbread let alone our evos as much as I love the phone aren't the newest phone let's face it but we still got gingerbread so where the Hell is the new sense!? We qualify for all the other goodies so why not sense!? I don't understand !!!!

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g...lems-non-rooted-stock-only-5.html#post2776309

Upvote 0
didnt want to start a new thread. Im new to android, new to rooting. Is this like a jailbreak of an iphone that if an update comes out the root is broken? I rooted my evo to control cpu to save battery.

if i do the ota update.. what happens? lol

just like jailbroken iphone.. if you get the official upgrades.. you loose the jailbreak. and have to wait for someone to find a new way to jailbreak it.

just head over to XDA and grab the rooted safe version of the Official OTA.

Upvote 0
i installed the update Friday June 3 around like 9 something it seems good so far.

Me too. I had the phone reboot while syncing up gmail but other than that everything seems nice. I knew there wouldn't be any huge changes from the different press releases...I like the little tweaks. It took only 5-10 minutes to update over a 4g connection. I'm happy enough with it.

Upvote 0
Anybody downloaded the Gingerbread Keyboard from the Marketplace? Since Evo didn't get it officially over the update, here it is:

Keyboard from Gingerbread - FREE

There is also a $.99 one, but so far, I have yet to find a difference. Personally, I like it and think it works pretty great.

I've had the free one since it came out several months ago. I like it. I switch back and forth between the Gingerbread keyboard and Swype when Swype decides it has a mind of it's own.

Upvote 0
Downloaded mine Friday night in MD. I had it available Friday afternoon June 3rd. Only noticed a few changes with the layout. before you could put your phone in silent and vibrate mode just holding the power button now you have to go into sound settings to do it not a big deal but now I have to add a short cut to get there quicker.

Upvote 0
Installed it but do not notice anything different...ONLY ONE GLITCH!
Even with all voicemails deleted i still have the voicemail notification up on my task bar...any ideas? I restarted and took battery out?!?!?!

I was really hoping for an interface like the Nexus S or of course the 3d of the xoom which i love.

I'm not a fan of sense and will continue using Launcher Pro

Upvote 0
I am partially rooted and have flashed the stock ROM and new radio. I have noticed several minor improvements. I know some people have said they don't see it. It seems the 3G indicator is a bit different as well as the battery indicator. Pushing the volume rocker up/down the speaker icon looks different. The tones for each level up/down are different pitches. Also, the icons in the notification area are updated. The power off menu is different and there is now a quick boot option as well. There's a new "download" app in the app tray. the Sprint navigation is now called TeleNav in the app tray (this may not be new. I use google nav. I have just noticed the change) I also notice a subtle change when the power button is pressed and the screen wakes up. It seems to fade in instead of just turning on. GPS lock seems much quicker and much more accurate. I haven't noticed any battery life improvement yet but I have been toying around with the phone all day. I'll get a real test of my true usage when the newness of this update wears off. I usually get 24-27 hours battery life with light to moderate usage. I guess I should mention I don't use Sense. I have been using GoLauncherEX lately (I dig their screen transitions)

I havent had any issues thus far with the camera or the netflix app that some have reported. I don't think I ever had the SMS problem but that's a reported fix too.

Overall, I feel pretty good about this update. Even though most of the important benefits are under the hood, I see enough changes to feel like I got something new.

Upvote 0
Downloaded mine Friday night in MD. I had it available Friday afternoon June 3rd. Only noticed a few changes with the layout. before you could put your phone in silent and vibrate mode just holding the power button now you have to go into sound settings to do it not a big deal but now I have to add a short cut to get there quicker.

you can set it in silent or vibrate mode from the volume rocker too. Just keep pushing the volume down/up button until you get to the desired setting.

Upvote 0
Has any having issues with Sense restart if you in another application for long amount of time? It starts all the way for the HTC logo load screen.
My biggest issue is I use ADW. and that was constantly redrawing. So I switch back to Sense hoping AnderWeb could come up with a fix. It seems this is more of an inherent problem with the Gingerbread update. Or it just maybe my phone. A setting I may have looked over.

Upvote 0
Has any having issues with Sense restart if you in another application for long amount of time? It starts all the way for the HTC logo load screen.
My biggest issue is I use ADW. and that was constantly redrawing. So I switch back to Sense hoping AnderWeb could come up with a fix. It seems this is more of an inherent problem with the Gingerbread update. Or it just maybe my phone. A setting I may have looked over.

Not just you're phone same issue hee

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones