Gingerbread coming for the Nexus One

Last Updated:

1. rubi76

rubi76 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

(from the Italian blog:)
    A member of the Open Handset Alliance confirmed Gingerbread will be version 2.3, and the SDK will be released November 11.
    Nexus One will be the first phone to get the OTA update a few weeks after.

Advertisement
  2. safeplayer22

safeplayer22 Well-Known Member

This is why the N1 is still the phone to have right now. I know there are phones with better specs (hardware wise) out there. Watch those other phone owners start to complain about why they still haven't gotten froyo after 3 months after we get gingerbread....lol.

But on a bad note, this is why android is a bit messy. not everyone is getting the same OS version at the same time. Damn those carriers (and some manufacturers)!!!

3. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

4. i.mac

i.mac Well-Known Member

5. Three

Three Well-Known Member

Sorry if I missed the memo, but what is the developer version of the N1? Or are all N1s now developer phones?

6. POC3442

POC3442 Well-Known Member

7. volsey

volsey Member

I really can't wait to see the changes, and to see how the developer from Pre has made his mark on the OS. Since there's nothing to do but wait, I got a couple questions.

Is the developer version the same as the regular OS, and can it be used on any N1 or just a dev N1 (I mean without rooting)?

8. mkrmec

mkrmec Well-Known Member

Developer version is probably the people's N1 who have the developer status with Google.

9. mkrmec

mkrmec Well-Known Member

Dev version is probably the N1's registered as developer phones with Google.

10. HyperM3

HyperM3 Well-Known Member

So the rest of us "non-developers" have to wait till who knows when to get the pedestrian version. Also, is it going to roll out the way Froyo did, T-Mo owners first then AT&T owners? Cus that kinda sucked.

11. mkrmec

mkrmec Well-Known Member

that will take a couple of hours when the update comes.

I thought that the Tmo and ATT versions are the same? That only the radio is different.. Should work on both phones.

12. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

It will roll out to both AT&T and T-Mobile versions at the same time, as they use identical software now.

If you think back to the 2.2 roll out, the "non-developers" got their hands on the dev OTA's (FRF50, FRF72 and FRF83) the same days they were pushed to the developers, so there wont be any waiting involved.

13. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Well-Known Member Contributor

That's why I don't really get into this whole "getting the update soon!". It comes when it comes. Look at Froyo, they showed it at googles event and it still took a month to get it. I would bet that the T-Mo guys get it first, but just think, you will have it a lot sooner then anyone else with an android phone. People still don't have Froyo when we have been running it for months now! I can't wait to go spy on the other sub forums after gingerbread comes out and watch everyone ask/complain when they will be getting it.

14. mkrmec

mkrmec Well-Known Member

Ginger will come soon. The next google IO event Honeycomb will be announced/rolled out.

I'm prepared for it. Went back to stock from CM6.1 and a stock recovery :D If it doesn't show soon I'll go berserk :D

15. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

lol, they're still complaining about waiting for the 2.2 updates for some of the models ;) Sony X10 JUST got 2.1!!! :eek:

16. Mostly Harmless

I really hope to see some changes in Android's stock music player. I haven't heard any news lately about the music service Google was going to offer so that makes me doubtful that we will see a change. I know there are plenty of options out there right now (using winamp), but I would still like to see a killer music player. Plus an update to Gtalk.

17. NunyaBidnez

NunyaBidnez Well-Known Member

I assumed the developer phones were the pre-release models that Google gave its employees. The one with the battery cover depicting an android holding a QR code flag.

18. cigar3tte

cigar3tte Well-Known Member

11/11/2010 5:30PM CST, no SDK released yet.

19. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Shock, horror. A rumour turned out to be inaccurate.

20. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

They probably pushed it back along with Samsung's phone. This'll probably mean Gingerbread will be more polished by the time it's released. If software is in working state, they can rush the release to meet the hardware's release. But this doesn't mean that the software will be completely ready or final.
    Let them work out the kinks some more... but not too long. I'm starting to feel the itch to tinker with my phone again :D

21. HyperM3

HyperM3 Well-Known Member

Anybody even have an idea about what changes are in Gingerbread? I mean, if its a new home screen and thats it, I dont know what all the fuss can be about. I got caught up in all the craze about wanting Froyo but the only thing I think I got out of it was being able to use flash. Other than that I havent really noticed much else.

22. Mostly Harmless

Well gingerbread was rumored to be a solution to all the skins (Sense, Touchwiz, Motoblur, etc...) but being that it's a 2.3 release rather then a 3.0 release I don't know if the overhaul is going to be as big as originally thought. Personally I am looking forward to the black notification bar!

23. Roze

Refresh my memory, Google announced the Nexus One mid/end of November 2009. What was the leak on Eclair? When was the Eclair SDK announced? The original Droid was released with 2.0 in October.

24. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Google officially announced the Nexus One on 5th Jan, and it went on sale that day.

25. Roze

Really? lol I thought they announced Eclair before they released the Nexus One.

So...I guess there's a high chance Google will pull this again?