• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread Has Made Me Love my Charge Again

After a few days with the Gingerbread update on my Charge, I can say that it's definitely made me love my phone.

So far, almost all of my major annoyances with it have been addressed:

1) Prior to the update, my phone would normally die at about 6 hours of use. Afterwards, I seem to be getting just under 10 hours of battery life. This still isn't necessarily great, but it's a significant enough improvement for me - I don't mind keeping my phone charged up during the day, but it's nice that I can get through most of the night without worrying about my phone dying around midnight or 1 AM any more. I imagine I can squeeze even more than this out of it, but as a baseline it's a great improvement.

2) UI lagginess/sluggishness is pretty much completely gone. Prior to the update, going back to the homescreen would often result in a 5-10 second wait for it to reload - and many UI operations were noticeably sluggish. This affected most apps for me as well. Launching the web browser, scrolling, etc. was usually sluggish - oftentimes I would see the checkerboard a lot waiting for it to redraw. After the update, I see almost no lag, and things are much smoother and quicker.

3) Audio Stuttering is gone for me. This was one of my biggest annoyances. When listening to audio, especially through bluetooth, I would often hear stuttering - especially while trying to use another app - operations like reloading a webpage would result in a stutter (it was like anything that caused CPU use to spike would interrupt audio playback). Sometimes even without doing anything it would stutter, presumably from background tasks. After the update, I haven't experienced a single stutter - I've tried a fair number of things and can't get it to stutter.

These are really the main things, but I consider them major improvements. It's made my day to day use and enjoyment of my phone much much better, and even though it took a very long time to come out, I'm glad it did.

-Zadillo

i like the puzzle piece unlocker, way smooth than before. Yea its little but thats what makes me love it again!

Yeah, that was one of the small annoyances I didn't mention, but like everything else, have also noticed its smoother. One other thing, I used to have a problem where every now and then when I'd turn it on, the screen wouldn't response so I couldn't unlock without turning the screen off and on again - haven't had that happen since.

Upvote 0
I updated yesterday and I agree with #2. I hope to confirm #3 this week since I stream bluetooth in my car on my daily commute. Bluetooth stuttering is what pushed me to root and custom ROMs months ago, and whatever was in the stock Froyo build that caused it was well cleaned up by the development community. Thus far, stock GB is as smooth as my custom Froyo ROMs have been, and I'm glad a release is official because I had problems with the GB leaks over the past two months that forced me to revery to Froyo-based builds.

Upvote 0
My Gingerbread update arrived late last night, and so far I'd agree that the UI (and I am using the Samsung UI that came preloaded on my device) is smoother and less sluggish, less laggy.

Now this could just be my imagination, but listening to a few tunes via Google Music on my updated Droid Charge, I could swear the music sounded better -- clearer somehow.

My initial test of GPS on Google Maps did not show any improvement (maybe that'd be an issue of updates for the Map app) -- it still drives me nuts that half the time GPS keeps searching but can't find my location (it performs much worse on Droid Charge that GPS/Google Maps on my OG Droid).

My biggest problem with Droid Charge has been all-too-frequent freezing up (which could happen while using an app but most often happened as I tried to unlock the phone by moving the puzzle-piece). I am VERY curious to see if Gingerbread somehow solves this problem -- if it does I will be a very happy phandroid guy. But I don't know yet if it will.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones