• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread impressions/tips/problems NON ROOTED STOCK ONLY

People who are having issues with Swype, just put the cursor in the center of the word and hit the Swype button, it brings up the Swype menu to change/add/delete word from Swype. It's actually much easier now.

So far I like the update. Some of the applications run faster, and I installed it on my bosses phone and he says it's working wonders for the battery.

Oh, also, the home screens rotate to landscape mode now . . .FINALLY! :)

I cant get mine to rotate, whats up with that?

Reactions: privraac
Upvote 0
The so called battery boost is negligible at best. My Evo doesnt run any noticeably faster. Many of my favorite apps that were abandoned by developers stopped working(so Ill never get them back). The same apps that would always run in the background are still running. There appears to be a memory leak. The video recorder still stutters on playback, and my bootup takes longer.

So basically I didnt gain anything from this update but lost a lot. I really wish I wouldve stuck with Froyo.

Upvote 0
The so called battery boost is negligible at best. My Evo doesnt run any noticeably faster. Many of my favorite apps that were abandoned by developers stopped working(so Ill never get them back). The same apps that would always run in the background are still running. There appears to be a memory leak. The video recorder still stutters on playback, and my bootup takes longer.

So basically I didnt gain anything from this update but lost a lot. I really wish I wouldve stuck with Froyo.

It amazes me how many people have issues every time there is an upgrade. There were many people last time who had all sorts of problems, and yet both last time and this time, I have had no problems. The only issue I have this time around is the wonky compass. I have no voicemail trouble, no microphone trouble, no Sense crashes. I have gotten a SIGNIFICANT speed boost, and noticeably better battery life. I can't seem to notice any memory leaks, boot time has been shortened for me, none of my apps had problems with this update either.

Guess it depends a lot on what software you are using, but I am incredibly happy with this update so far!

Upvote 0
I had quite a few of my icons revert to the default. Also, if you select an icon for an ap that has been uninstalled, you no longer get a message saying the ap isn't installed.

Update - I fixed all missing icons, but most disappeared again after a reboot.
I turned off fast load and then HTC Sense abended. I force closed, sense restarted and now all the icons are correct.

Reactions: sleepy3103
Upvote 0
Was the phone idle mostly? I'm unfortunately not seeing the improved battery life most are seeing. Full charge overnight and went down to 65% in about 2 1/2 hours this morning. Played music while using Google NAV for about a 20min. trip. a couple of calls etc.. I pulled the battery and will retry.

The large improvement is when the phone is idle. It really saves on draining the battery when youre not using it. When you are using it, it will drain at the same rate it did before.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
That is exactly what I did when after the upgrade, the WiFi icon was greyed out and would not connect to my Wireless N router. I pressed the power button and chose to "restart" and once it powered back on, it immediately connected to my router once again and haven't had a problem since.

Are you connecting through G or N? People are saying they wiped the N support on this update.

Upvote 0
You should realize that you're sourcing a guy who has a very questionable track record.

For the rest of us, I think it would be useful to see what issues are individual, and which are closely tied to the update so we can help out HTC with their debugging.

Well BSOD was spot on with the EVO 4G and mostly correct about the 3D(some random differences nothing major). I didnt see his post about being released with 3.1 Ice cream(which seems pretty ridiculous) and last time I checked the Holidays are still several months away. So while he may have gotten the numbering for Ice cream sandwich off we will have to see if the 3D gets it and its release date.

Upvote 0
The large improvement is when the phone is idle. It really saves on draining the battery when youre not using it. When you are using it, it will drain at the same rate it did before.

I concur. I noticed the improvement with phone idol state today. I didn't use my phone on full charge for 12 hours and it only drained 12%.

Reactions: sikclown
Upvote 0
It was explained that the "shoot me" app was designed for rooted phones, but because of an exploit of Android 2.2, it was working on non-rooted phones. It seems that gingerbread closes that exploit, thus rendering screenshot apps now non-functional.

I know all that but I thought I read somewhere(its been awhile since Ive seen it) that gingerbread was supposed to come stock with this capability. I also knew that shoot me was meant for rooted phones. Im just wondering if gingerbread has this capability built in.

Upvote 0
One qwirky problem I noticed is when I swap batteries without powering down. For some reason, the keyboard input doesn't pop up. In order to retrieve, I have to change the input method, so the keyboard comes back up.

That does seem odd. I dont have a spare batt so i dont really swap them but I had it freeze over an issue with handcent before the update and when I pulled the battery I didnt have that problem. It does seem like it would be smart to always power down before swapping batteries if you could.

Upvote 0
Well BSOD was spot on with the EVO 4G and mostly correct about the 3D(some random differences nothing major). I didnt see his post about being released with 3.1 Ice cream(which seems pretty ridiculous) and last time I checked the Holidays are still several months away. So while he may have gotten the numbering for Ice cream sandwich off we will have to see if the 3D gets it and its release date.

He's had lots wrong on the 3D, majorly wrong, and his post history for being on the 4G speaks for itself.

If you want a 2.3.4 rumor and speculations thread, fine, this isn't it, and there's a whole forum for the 3vo.

Upvote 0
I'm connecting through N just fine.

I wonder if it is connecting at lower-than-N speeds. I've noticed lower connection speeds on wifi after the 2.3.3 update. Or perhaps your router is a dual-band router?

On my 802.11g -router, it connects without any issues, but at a lower speed than earlier. One improvement is that the time taken to connect to the network has reduced significantly.

Upvote 0
Anyone else notice pandora not starting as quickly or minutes between songs at times? I contacted Jed at pandora and sent him a log this morning, because Pandora was frustrating to use immediately after updating the other day due to long/failed startups and long loadtimes of next song. Of course this morning it seems to be better. Jim

Upvote 0
Anyways, my experience is much different than others here, I get blinking LED when email arrives or messages, voicemail is fine and notifications, and there's definately a speed improvement overall for the phone. Looking forward to a few of the quirks such as Netflix to be fixed though. On a side note, TeleNav worked great on a 200 mile trip over the weekend with setours and side streets from NC to VA.

Upvote 0
Haven't really noticed the battery improvement but today when I started the phone after it was off all night it went to a generic wallpaper. I restarted it and then my wallpaper came back. In general it's snappier but just feels a little buggy. Oh and I had to uncheck fast reboot because I was having all kinds of issues at restart.

Upvote 0
EVO Internal Issues:
-- Digital Compass not working [NeoteriX, richard.tufty, BeTrue]
-- Voicemail Notification [many]
-- Google Voice Search not picking up Mic audio
-- HTC Sense Home more frequently restarts (white HTC screen) [NeoteriX, BeTrue]
- - Program Icons insides Folder revert back to generic Android Icons depending on what screen saver you have or the state of the Fast Boot Selection

External App Issues:
-- Handcent (notification light disabled) fixed??
-- WiMax Notifier
-- Netflix
-- Telenav [jj14xl, Joehornback]
-- ShootMe (non-root exploit closed)
- Drudge Report app: text in opened articles is now skipping around, formatting problem

Upvote 0
Re: -- Google Voice Search not picking up Mic audio

If you go into Settings> Voice Input & Output > Voice Recognizer Settings > Personalized Recognition (checked)

I find that after the update, this was unchecked. Rechecking it has alleviated this issue.

I say alleviate, because 1 time since the update, it didn't pickup my voice for some unknown reason. But overall has perform as expected.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones