Gingerbread Keyboard (Root Users)

Last Updated:

1. chocobomoshpit

chocobomoshpit Member This Topic's Starter

Hey, y'all! I know I'm mostly a lurker, and I've seen similar posts around these forums, but I feel it needs to be shared with my fellow N1ers!

I've been using the new gingerbread keyboard since yesterday, and I have to say it is downright amazing. It's far better than any paid keyboard I've used, and I suggest giving it a shot.

You can find the file and instructions here:

Download: Gingerbread Keyboard for Rooted Devices (Updated) - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Let me know what you think!

Advertisement
  2. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Been using it since this morning, it's better than the 2.2 keyboard in my opinion. Can't copy and paste though, which may get annoying, will have to wait and see.

3. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Well-Known Member Contributor

Can't wait to try it. I have been using swift and it's pretty good, but I like the way the new one looks.

4. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Copy and paste seems to work fine now, so hooray... haven't done anything, but the FC's have gone.

5. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

boo...root! Got to wait to use it when I get gingerbread, lol.

6. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

It doesn't FC when C&Ping anymore... nice.

7. snakeybidder

snakeybidder Well-Known Member

Awesome! Finally a keyboard better then smart keyboard, and ive tried them all!!

Good work google!

8. chocobomoshpit

chocobomoshpit Member This Topic's Starter

My only gripe so far is that the l and the backspace button are too close together (or maybe I just have huge hands). Also, it doesn't differentiate im from I'm and its doesn't give an option for it's. Being a bit of a grammar need, it drives me nuts.

Other than that, this is the best keyboard since the iphone's, and that is pretty much the only redeeming thing about that platform.

9. AnotherFatalEpic

AnotherFatalEpic Well-Known Member

Just installed and so far so good. I noticed the same with im and it's and I haven't figured out how to add words to the custom dictionary yet.

One thing im noticing right now is that its laggier than the standard. I can type my normal speed but the letters and input lag a bit to complete. Am I the only one getting this?

10. Snazzy

Snazzy Well-Known Member

11. AnotherFatalEpic

Because I HATE Swype. Lol.. I don't get it.. there is no way, NO way.. that sliding your finger from point A to point B is faster than.. tap tap. Maybe I'm just a quick tapper, but still. Even if I eat some KFC.. then use SWYPE.. tapping is still faster.

12. Snazzy

Snazzy Well-Known Member

It was a change for sure but I was committed to a week of Swype and it really paid off. I cannot see using any other keyboard on a cell phone now. Oh and the world record in speed texting was done with a Swype KB. ;)

Melissa Thompson Sets Text Messaging World Record

13. AnotherFatalEpic

That's because I wasn't there. :eek: They wanted to do a story on my skills but I turned it down :rolleyes: hehe.