• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread now available through LG update tool!!!!

After a little figitting with the usb mode i finally got it. The LG support tool asks you to download 2 usb drivers, and the web sight also has 2 required usb drivers. I couldn't understand why so many. Didn't have to put in debugging mode either. A flawless update. Was useing windows 7. The only thing I am not happy with, or things, is the web browser frequently closes while I am browsing, signal drops unexpectedly at times, and the clock in the go weather widget doesn't update properly. After I unlock my phone I can watch it run forward to current time. Never saw it before. Kinda wish I had waited for a more stable version. Dont wanna reset the phone to roll bavk though, too much work to get all my stuff back on there.

Upvote 0
Finally after setting up in USB Debugging, removing the SD card, I was able to get the LG Mobile Update Software to recognize the phone.

THANK YOU! I could not get the program to recognize my phone, finally when I read this I went and turned on USB debugging and low & behold! It accepted my phone! I'm going through the update now! I can't believe I didn't think of that!

Upvote 0
I used the LG Software update tool. Downloaded drivers.
Downloaded update files 420mb,
Started up grade. Locked at 6 %
After a while it said disconnect, restart phone and press the restart button.
OK I did and it locked at 8%
Now it will make me enter IME and S/N manually and when I start upgrade it says FATAL ERROR unable to upgrade, contact LG website for upgrade.
hahaha good luck with that one.
Is there a way out of this trap?
YES THERE IS!
Factory reset PWR/down vol
Changed to wife's Win7 computer. It continued to foul up but after 6 resets the Tool carried me all the way through and I now have a nice Gingerbread 3D Phone 2.3.5.
Patience wins again.

Upvote 0
This is my first post...I was looking for answers as well. Here goes my hopeful helpful hints!

1. Reboot BOTH Computer and Phone(After you shut the phone down, remove the SD card) then when the PC reboots, completely shut down ANY Programs that might load on the startup process.

2. From phone - Applications + Settings + SD Card and Phone Storage. DESELECT Mass Storage

3. Turn on Debugging

4. Download LG United Mobile Driver and Install it

5. REBOOT your computer!!! Any time you install ANYTHING, you always reboot afterwards/before you run the program.

6. Download/Install LG Mobile Support Tool

7. Reboot PC and Turn on Phone and DO NOT tap "Turn On USB storage" when prompted...for it will NOT work if you do!

8. Open the LG Mobile Support Tool and after it recognizes the phone, click "Start Updating" and if/when it stops in the process, Don't get mad, just simply reboot both PC and Phone. That's what I did and after having all of your problems, rebooting/trying again a few times it worked.

Now that I have gotten through the update process, I have a few issues but only 1 sticks out in my head that is a NO NO!!

Apps continuously open by themselves!!!!! Like 6...8...13...even 17 apps!!! WTF???

I am thinking about doing this process over again to see if for some reason it works normally. Either way I think LG and AT&T has completely screwed their customers. I understand that there HAS been GB update for several months, it was ATT that didn't really want to release it until the bugs were worked out. Either way I hope this helps some people...if anyone has some helpful hints for stopping the apps from opening by themselves, that would be great!

I still would recommend that people WAIT a little longer to update their phone.

Here is the page. www.LG.com/us/thrill4g-Upgrade

Upvote 0
I did the update...day one the phone kept rebooting itself over and over, showed error in the FM radio app which I uninstalled as a result...day two was like a dream-no problems and battery life was way better than before, day three, it starts that auto reboot cycle and I couldn't figure out what was causing it so on day four I did a factory reset.

Now all is good...fingers crossed that it stays that way. I probably needed to clear out a bunch of that downloaded stuff anyway...

Upvote 0
Ever since the update, I haven't been able to save pictures......I try to save them and it says an SD card is needed and I have one mounted...any ideas?

Same here! Very frustrating. Tried unmounting, remounting the SD card when the phone was on. Also tried rebooting. Even unmounted and reformatted the card.

But no luck. Any time I try to download to the SD card, it says one does not exist. In the phone's application settings for the SD card, it does recognize it and report the space and space available. But nothing else will.

Anyone figure this out?

Upvote 0
my buddy has the thrill and i went to update on 3 diferent computers all running xp and it wouldnt stay connected... it would connect and then almost amedietly it would disconnect and it would keep doing it... any ideas why or how i can get his phone updated? thru the phone it says that there is no new updates and that his software is the newes avalible but hes on 2.2.2................

Upvote 0
my buddy has the thrill and i went to update on 3 diferent computers all running xp and it wouldnt stay connected... it would connect and then almost amedietly it would disconnect and it would keep doing it... any ideas why or how i can get his phone updated? thru the phone it says that there is no new updates and that his software is the newes avalible but hes on 2.2.2................
My Thrill was updated on a net book running XP. Just reset your phone prior before upgrading and see if that'll work.

Upvote 0
I tried to update mine Thrill today.
1 Tried to do it on 7 machine. No luck. Download phase went well. Update phase stuck on 17% and then I got "no communication with phone" error. Tried to pull out and reinstall battery. Tried different ports. No luck.
The phone got frozen and won't react when pushing any buttons.
I thought I got it bricked completely. Even phone LG and got RMA number from em.
2 Finally I decided to try it out on XP computer. First time same error. DAMN!!!
Changed to other port. IT WORKED OUT!!!!!!!
Now my phone is faster, battery life improved.
Also I have now 3D converter for games.
Please remember to put correct country when use LG tool as well. I live in Canada but at first tried Canada in the tool settings. Then on XP machine I used USA because my phone has been made for AT &T

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones