• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Gingerbread OTA - Bricked my phone???

have you tried doing a factory reset? Might also try holding the power and home buttons at the same time and boot into recovery and wiping data and reset. In the root world this tends to fix goofy behavior.

I dont have much time to get to factory Reset.. does someone have the list of "clicks" if you will to get to factory reset? I know it is in settings, but not sure from there.. usually I cannot even get the menu button to bring up the menu on my phone..

I have a feeling it is another widget or app causing it to fail.. does this seem logical?

Upvote 0
I'm having the exact same problem. Updated, rebooted, screen is unresponsive and then goes black and won't come back. I've removed the battery 5 times now and I'm finally at a screen that I can move but the whole thing is very sluggish right now.

Any suggestions?

Stupid update.

Edit: just crashed to black screen again. Grrrr

Upvote 0
I'm having the exact same problem. Updated, rebooted, screen is unresponsive and then goes black and won't come back. I've removed the battery 5 times now and I'm finally at a screen that I can move but the whole thing is very sluggish right now.

Any suggestions?

Stupid update.

Edit: just crashed to black screen again. Grrrr

Same issues. Uninstalled LPP. Sorta helped. Im gonna factory reset.

Upvote 0
Thought this was supposed to have great battery life and less lag? This new keyboard lags so bad and less I've lost 40% battery in 1hr45min. Had 1 6 minute phone call that took 40% battery. Can't download anything from the market, also I had the same start up issues. I can't do this lag!

it has, and it does

might not be a bad idea to wipe data and cache and try installing the update again

were you ever rooted?

Upvote 0
it has, and it does

might not be a bad idea to wipe data and cache and try installing the update again

were you ever rooted?

Everyone having problems.. I had to pull battery upwards of 30 times before finally seeing the lock screen pop up and then the refresh circle for gmail appear. After they appeared, my 3G icon turned from white to blue and it has worked ever sense.. Almost afraid to reboot though!!

Upvote 0
Mine seems to be solved.

Apparently, it really did require me to pull the battery 7-8 times, reboot 15 times, and then let it sit. For some reason, though, now it's working and it's like it never went wrong.

Not sure what kind of update needs to sit and soak but apparently this one did.

Meanwhile, a friend sat next to me and updated his effortlessly. Luck of the draw for me, I guess.

Upvote 0
remember guys...you just flashed an entirely new Operating System...one that relies heavily on its caches to run smoothly...i wonder how many of you rebooted and gave it some time to settle in before going crazy with...."ooo i wonder if this works...ooo how about this?...ooo....clicky clicky clicky...."

Upvote 0
your apps SHOULD sync themselves from your Google account

yup, at least most of them should. if you are stock and haven't really messed with many thing on the phone, it should completely DL all your apps.
after signing in, go to the market, menu>my apps and you will see them downloading...just let it run until you get the notification that X of X apps fully/partially restored. then it is just a matter of setting it up the way you had it before.

data resets usually take me about 35 minutes to get back to where i was if i am on Wifi....takes forever on 3G

Upvote 0
yup, at least most of them should. if you are stock and haven't really messed with many thing on the phone, it should completely DL all your apps.
after signing in, go to the market, menu>my apps and you will see them downloading...just let it run until you get the notification that X of X apps fully/partially restored. then it is just a matter of setting it up the way you had it before.

data resets usually take me about 35 minutes to get back to where i was if i am on Wifi....takes forever on 3G

My phone was stock. It saved most of my paid apps. No free apps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones