• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Girl Friend + Video Games = RAGE

If I'm not 50 and gaming I hope to have a bullet set firmly between my eyes.

I completely understand the lack of time makes it hard to game.

I even more understand the lack of decent games out. (I'm going backwards to find games.. STALKER is old CRYSIS is old half life 2 has been out forever)

I don't define "hardcore gamer" as someone who doesn't have a job, has no life and only games.

I will even say with age, I have come to appreciate other forms of entertainment as well.. Watching good movies (Heat has got to be one of my fav's, juno ect) Leaving me less time for gaming between that, looking for companionship and school.

However, at the end of the day, even if I haven't touched a video game.. I'm still a gamer. I still have a custom built pc sitting on a little table next to my desk.

Once better games start coming out again (there are always "dry spells" and we are in a bad one), I will be really gaming hard again.

My point on maturity isn't about how much time itself is invested in the persuit of gaming..

My point is that at the end of the day gaming is no less mature of a HOBBY than anything else. And if the girl doesn't have a real hobby... then well.. she isn't worth your time.

Unfortunately I think thats what a lot of people don't realize.... for some people gaming is just a way to kill time between cradle and grave. For others, it is just as valid of a hobby as playing an instrument, watching movies for artist value, woodworking, or possibly even reading.

I am not saying *ALL* games have redeeming value but, then neither do all songs, nor all paintings, or all pieces of furniture.

However, me gaming as a hobby has been more meaningful to me and given my life a view of things that your average person will never understand.

Now, if we talk about someone with a hobby.. they can relate.

So, if we are to look at gaming to discuss "maturity" we are going to have to discuss quite a few things.

Your not the only person I've known to more or less completely give up gaming for academic reasons, and I completely respect the people who do.

Infact you could say you gave it up for "maturity" reasons.. which would be having your priorities in order.

that doesn't mean gaming itself is immature.

I view people without hobbies (I am not picky for what qualifies as a "hobby) as pretty much worthless human beings. My main prerequisite is it be something your interested in, have a chance of learning something from and well no matter what your gunna end up spending generous amounts of money on it.

"Oh gaming is so immature" my parents cry. "Yes because, sitting around drinking as soon as I get home from work and complaining about how bad life is, despite having enough money to do whatever you want! Should be what every child aspires to do in life!" I retort.

Upvote 0
Well, broke up with the gf last night. She finds games to be a waste of time of which I would better use it for saving the world and solving world hunger or something like that.

I know some of the people here dont like video games, but its not something I am ashamed of. I don't know if I will change when I am 30 or 40 because "I am too old and people will look down" for that sort of stuff. And it will be a sad day when it ends because of that.

Upvote 0
Well, broke up with the gf last night. She finds games to be a waste of time of which I would better use it for saving the world and solving world hunger or something like that.

I know some of the people here dont like video games, but its not something I am ashamed of. I don't know if I will change when I am 30 or 40 because "I am too old and people will look down" for that sort of stuff. And it will be a sad day when it ends because of that.
You're in a generation of gamers and we'll grow old with you lol. I know people in their 30s and 40s who still game a lot. Played Halo Reach with a couple of them the other day as a matter of fact

Upvote 0

lol wow. Does she ever watch tv or surf the web? It is basically the same thing, a form of entertainment. Seems your better off without her.... As long as your not obsessive over games and really obnoxious.. there is nothing wrong with playing games in moderation.

Upvote 0

Your better off without her.

She is small minded and immature.

Upvote 0
My bf is a big gamer, don't really mind as he has his gaming addiction and I have my Android and AndroidForums addiction. I actually enjoy watching him game for a bit :) and when I get bored...I take out the lappie/phone and go on AF or dl apps :D Though I think it's fun to make him lose when he's gaming*laughs evily*

He's a fortunate man, Roze. ;)

Upvote 0
Hope my next relationship works out like that. XD

Although, I also hope she will play some games with me.

I think when people are passionate about certain things/hobbies, for the relationship to work, both parties need to understand that those hobbies are part of the partner. To deny it to him/her is to deny the person and who he/she is. You need to have good communication, a lot of understanding and a bit of sacrafice on both parties to make the relationship work:)

Upvote 0
How do you use headphone and a headset/mic at the same time? Seems it wouldn't be very comfortable.

Or am I a nerd for using the headset (As my wife so subtly puts it)

As a Christmas present to myself last year, I purchased some fairly large tower speakers and a big center channel am using an old subwoofer and surround but am planning on upgrading them this year. I would be pretty sad if I was forced to use headphones after purchasing these :(

And for those of you using headphone, look into headphone amps. My coworker has one and his headphones are absolutely amazing.

Upvote 0
I think when people are passionate about certain things/hobbies, for the relationship to work, both parties need to understand that those hobbies are part of the partner. To deny it to him/her is to deny the person and who he/she is. You need to have good communication, a lot of understanding and a bit of sacrafice on both parties to make the relationship work:)

100% agree. Like when someone says "I can change him/her" Then you change that person and they are less happy

Upvote 0

In my last relationship, this all played a big part in it ending..

Not that it ended badly... or that we think the other person isn't "good enough" but, we have different things we need in a partner.

Through out the relationship she was accepting that I was a gamer, I even got her into it some. She loved reading which I didn't mind..

However, we were never really on the "same page" towards the end.. I was working 4 days a week with odd shifts in addition to school.. so When I was home I was just "bleh"

her schedule was set every week due to her classes /job. While she does work in a warehouse with no AC and just fans.. (school job so don't worry she isn't heavy lifting much).

However, this meant she had opportunity to hang out with friends a lot more than I did, since my schedule constantly changes, and I have homework all the time..

So a lot of the time towards the end.. if I was feeling like talking hanging out.. she was with friends...

If she was feeling like talking/hanging out.. I was busy.. Things at the actual end were very well.. but, she had sorta made up her mind.. it got better.. but, she knew that it wasn't going to stay "better".

The good part is giving up my apartment means I don't have to pay all those bills every month.

I really hope future prospects are as promising as they seem for now.

For what its worth, sometimes love, commitment, dedication, and trust aren't enough.. at the end of the day.. some people just live different lives... and at some point it is just not worth it because, you will run yourself and the other person into the ground.

Upvote 0
the actual tv is the least loud thing in my gaming (even though I don't do it much anymore)

However, I have found a way to make Wii bowling into a drinking game AND into a stripping game. They tie in hand in hand, make the other person take a shot for every strike the opponent makes. By about the 3rd strike, the next bet I make is for an article of clothing. After a few shots, they are ready to risk a shirt as opposed to taking a 4th shot in a row. lol

Finally, I learned how to make being a video game nerd pay off for me..... bwaahahaha.

One of the final bets was her suggestion... as she stood there in her victoria's secret bra and little lace panties, she said "if you get don't get this strike, you have to kiss my ass"

Well, if you saw this little tight ass, you would have thrown a gutter ball too. "oooooopppsss" (yeah right)

Upvote 0
I don't think there's anything wrong with someone playing video games, whats the diffrence between that or someone who watchs TV all evening. I used to be a big gammer, but stopped playing finally bought a PS3 about 9months ago and it's gotten maybe 1hr of video game use (waste of money I know) I use it mainly for NetFlix and BluRay. I've tried to get back in to video games but it's just not for me. After I'm home from work and the gym I just like to sit on my couch in silence and read or watch ESPN . It's kinda my thing now and I'm still a young 27yrs old, but I have friends as old as 40 that play video games every day instead of watching TV

I really don't think it's a maturity thing, it's just a hobby.

Upvote 0
He's a fortunate man, Roze. ;)

I know I am. :)

Well, I am a gamer and my other half is AF addict. :p

Compromises is what makes up for it and also being able to talk openly about it. Yes, I may sometimes be that you just grow apart from each other like you said Snow Fox, where its not really a solution for it and its on mutual understanding.

But my take on dealing with hobbies is just being open about it, no need to go into gory details about spending x time on it. We just need a mutual understanding on what we like to do and take it from there on. If there is some minor bumps, neither of us is afraid to talk about it with the other part and solve it there and then.

Instead of letting it stay for months and grow worse and worse. Which in my opinion is bad, but I know we have a very high mutual understanding of each others hobbies and how much its part of us.

One example, is me inviting her to my world. Ie: Play some games with her or talk slightly about it. Just as she is inviting me to her hobby, and show me how it works and what she does.

It would be much worse if we were closed up about our likings rather then not. :)

So my take on it, if its reasonable time you use - it's not really a big deal, if you/her feel its way to time consuming some times. You talk about it in a normal way, I don't see turning off the sound to 0 as a way to go on it in first place. So as Frisco said, talk/discuss and find a compromise. :)

Upvote 0
It is great you have that kind of relationship.

I think in my relationship there were times were I was really giving... and times where she was really giving..

I think the problem at the end of the day is relationships are always give and take... but, they should not be constantly shifting...

Sure it wasn't our fault with a lot of the circumstances.. I mean... trying to keep an apartment paid for plus school is never easy if that were all we were doing.. not counting rough days at work, failed test ect.

There is never a perfect time for a relationship but, you can't try and balance two lives together when neither are really balanced to begin with.

Upvote 0
the actual tv is the least loud thing in my gaming (even though I don't do it much anymore)

However, I have found a way to make Wii bowling into a drinking game AND into a stripping game. They tie in hand in hand, make the other person take a shot for every strike the opponent makes. By about the 3rd strike, the next bet I make is for an article of clothing. After a few shots, they are ready to risk a shirt as opposed to taking a 4th shot in a row. lol

Finally, I learned how to make being a video game nerd pay off for me..... bwaahahaha.

One of the final bets was her suggestion... as she stood there in her victoria's secret bra and little lace panties, she said "if you get don't get this strike, you have to kiss my ass"

Well, if you saw this little tight ass, you would have thrown a gutter ball too. "oooooopppsss" (yeah right)

ah yes. please move to Dear Penthouse Forums section.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones