• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Give me your opinions! HTC EVO vs Samsung Transform

bdunbar12

Lurker
Dec 26, 2010
Okay, so for Christmas I got a Samsung Transform. For those unfamiliar with the phone, its an android running on 2.1, with a spacious QWERTY keyboard. It's got dual cameras, although the picture quality isnt that great. So here's my question. I originally wanted the evo, but they were out of stock at the particular sprint store my mom went to. They told her she could exchange the phone within 30 days for another model, so im using the transform in the mean time.

I go to private school so the 4G network isnt really accesible to me because im at school most of the time, and there is no coverage in that area.

I enjoy the full QWERTY keyboard, but the transform tends to lag (which everyone says in the reviews) between applications, unlock screen, and just generally navigating throughout the phone. Froyo for the transform isnt out yet, and may not be out until early 2011, and I'm not even sure if froyo would increase phone performance.

I don't know much about the perfomance of the evo, I know its specs and things like that, but from personal experience, whoever wants to tell me if I should keep the transform or get an evo, let me know! all opinions will be helpful to me....

Thaaaanks,
Brit <3

hi brit.. welcome to AF

how do i put this gently....
the 2 phones are not even on the same playing field.

Transfrom is ok..
but there are so many bad things on it...
first.. it is a Samsung. realy I am not joking.
2nd.. it has same issues as the Samsung Moment.. You might visit their subform for more detail.

EVO.. is like stepping from an economy sedan .. into a fully loaded BMW. all things will just be better.
But it will cost you $10 more a month.
In my opinion... it is an easy decision!

if you where comparing the EVO vs Epic.. then it would be more an even debate...still for me, EVO wins.

I had the Hero before the EVO.
I consider the Hero... on the same level as the Transform.
and I am sooooooooo happy that I got the EVO!

all that said..
if you are happy with the Transform... then you are happy.

Reactions: alextop30
Upvote 0
I haven't used the transform, but I will say out of the box, the EVO did lag at points. I had to do some tweaking to get it where I want, and I will probably still go and try out other custom roms just because I can! LOL. I only say all of this because if you are not wanting to do any rooting/tweaking you may not get a whole lot more out of it. There also is that extra $10 associated with it.

Upvote 0

... :'(

In response to everyone else, I think I'm going to make the switch over next week. Thetransform is no doubt a good phone, but its not fast enough for me. Apps always lag, the keyboard can be slow, and sometimes it has a mind of its own. What I do like is the transforms messaging interface. Your inbox is crafty, and an actual thread is set up much like the iphone, where the etire conversation is displayed on the screen, and alll you must do is scroll down. What is messaging like on the evo? And can someone explain what rooting is to me? I'm not familiar with phone customization and I'm new to android. Thanks.

Upvote 0
that is how all android message is like...

but there are replacement sms apps that you can even add/change/enhance your experience.
so.. yes.. the EVO sms will be similar to that... try Handcent app... it is awesome.. free on market.

Rooting... simply put...
the phone's Root Directory has been locked so that you can not access it or make changes to it. Similar to your "c:" prompt on your windows PC.
This stop you (the owner) from doing things they (carrier) dont want you to do. These features which was there and built into by Google are no longer available to you.

Rooting your phone.. means you broken that lock.. and now have full access to your root directory. Now you can do what ever you what and bring back the features that was lost.

warning: all carriers say... you void your warranty when you root the device! good thing most phones have a way to.. unroot and put back as before!

Upvote 0
that is how all android message is like...

but there are replacement sms apps that you can even add/change/enhance your experience.
so.. yes.. the EVO sms will be similar to that... try Handcent app... it is awesome.. free on market.

Rooting... simply put...
the phone's Root Directory has been locked so that you can not access it or make changes to it. Similar to your "c:" prompt on your windows PC.
This stop you (the owner) from doing things they (carrier) dont want you to do. These features which was there and built into by Google are no longer available to you.

Rooting your phone.. means you broken that lock.. and now have full access to your root directory. Now you can do what ever you what and bring back the features that was lost.

warning: all carriers say... you void your warranty when you root the device! good thing most phones have a way to.. unroot and put back as before!

Hm yeah.. I wouldn't want to brick my new phone so quickly haha.. id have to watch a ton of tutorial videos or something... ;p

Upvote 0
I have had the Transform for 5 months now..so far pretty good BUT and I believe this is the software. It will either hang or lock up on you, if you keep hitting the home button it sometimes comes back. Sometimes you have to power it off and back on then it will be fine. I have 3 of the Instinct and they do the same thing so to me that points to the software code.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones