Give up my droid?

Last Updated:

1. brettlewis

brettlewis Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So my mom is up for a 2 year upgrade and has a really crappy plastic LG phone right now. She has to carry around 3 batteries so she can keep her phone alive.

Anyways, Im going to the verizon store tomorrow to try to get a replacement on my droid since my proximity sensor is busted.

She really wants a phone with a full keyboard and I brought up the idea of giving my droid to her once a new android phone comes out on verizon, like the incredible or n1.

One of the reasons I love having my droid so much is that mass support for it in the forums and around the internet. So many people have them and its easy to get help and hacks for it.

Im not asking to get a bashing, just some opinions on what you think and what some trade offs may be in the means of support or other things I just dont know about them.

Thanks for the help :D

Advertisement
  2. blackops

blackops Well-Known Member

Almost everyone says, the real trade off is the mass support, but also the opinion of wanting the hard keyboard or not. That is why a lot of people go Droid, in order to get the hard keyboard-speaking about myself of course, i love hard keyboards. But again if you don't care and really won't mind the less support for the N1 or incredible, go that route. The droid is a good phone, but if you want something else and don't care for the keyboard, then the Nexus One should do you fine!

3. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

Less... support?

XDA has a section for the N1. It doesn't have one for the Droid. I know there're forums dedicated to the Droid and all, but there's no shortage of excellent developers/themers/etc working with the N1. The G1 was the developer's phone of yesteryear; for current-gen Android, that's the N1.

4. infoman

infoman Well-Known Member

I have had both phones and currently have the droid. The N1 has a stunning display, and it's fast. Awesome is subjective. The N1 is flakey and had some design issues, or at least on the TMO network. I have never owned a phone where it had to rebooted so often either from lockups, quirkiness, and poor battery performence. Call quality was poor because of the placement of the mic. Slight movement of the phone caused muffled audio on the other end. It was annoying. The droid is a solid phone! The N1 was the beta, so if I were going to change I would wait for the incrediable.

5. brettlewis

brettlewis Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

yeah. I definitely enjoy having a hardware keyboard, but before my droid had a phone with touch screen only, so its not like big change.

I guess that support argument it pretty good, and as it is, most of the android phones, especially the HTC phones are so similar I bet most of them can use the same roms and what not.

Although I do admit the only reason I rooted my droid was to get faster speed out of it, I might not even have to worry about that sort of thing with a snapgragon.

I guess Ill probably just have to wait and test them out for myself, or maybe wait till some people own them before diving in.