• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Give up unlimited plan for double data...

Sketchr

Android Enthusiast
May 28, 2010
to avoid near future Lte throttling? With this talk of att throttling, how soon will Verizon do the same?

I use about 4-5GB a month.

Should wait to see how it plays out before making any changes, but likely the double data won't be offered when the chips fall...

hmm.

My understanding is that Verizon is already throttling users but not as draconian as AT&T. They are only slowing heavy users bandwidth if they are on a crowded tower when the tower is actually crowded, and they are slowing them down only enough to permit all of the folks on that tower reasonable data speeds. Its more of a dynamic thing. Its not like you hit a usage amount and they cripple your data for the remainder of your cycle as AT&T does. I would venture to guess that many users have been throttled without knowing it.

Also, I think I read that they cannot throttle on their 4G system because of restrictions when they bought the bandwidth.

Reactions: Sketchr
Upvote 0
Also, I think I read that they cannot throttle on their 4G system because of restrictions when they bought the bandwidth.

This is true. Block C provisions prevent them from throttling the LTE portion of the network currently. If they do they would get in some major trouble with the FCC. Last I heard they are trying to get it changed (some arguement along the lines of why should we have limitations on how to use something we bought which I found very ironic ;)) but if they do ever get the provisions overturned it will be a newsworthy item. I would not give up unlimited at this point if you live in a 4G area since you will likely end up paying more for the tiered plan each month

Upvote 0
This is true. Block C provisions prevent them from throttling the LTE portion of the network currently. If they do they would get in some major trouble with the FCC. Last I heard they are trying to get it changed (some arguement along the lines of why should we have limitations on how to use something we bought which I found very ironic ;)) but if they do ever get the provisions overturned it will be a newsworthy item. I would not give up unlimited at this point if you live in a 4G area since you will likely end up paying more for the tiered plan each month

Ironic indeed. The best part is, they didn't buy the spectrum. Just the rights to use PUBLIC airwaves. They can never own the spectrum.

Upvote 0
Do not give up your unlimited data plan. They are only throttling 3G users who are over utilizing already congested towers on 3G. As a matter of fact, they want customers on 4g due to the increased efficiencies of the LTE network.

4g service does not merely upgrade tower antennas but all aspects of the network, especially back haul which is a huge bottleneck on 3G due to most sites using 1.5 megabit T1 lines and not Ethernet or fiber back haul.

At 4-5 gigabytes a month, you're fine. I've used a lot more than that when I moved and added mobile hotspot waiting for Comcast to pull it together. 35 gigs with a house full of teenagers is not bad ;)

Upvote 0

I'm confused by this because I am not throttled by Verizon at all with my 4G smartphone. I use extremely high amounts of data (well into the double or even sometimes triple digits) and have never been affected in any way.

But I'm hearing that ATT is throttling all their unlimited data customers around the ~2gb mark, even those on their brand-new LTE network that's only a few months old. Are you saying they shouldn't be allowed to throttle their LTE customers?

Upvote 0
I'm confused by this because I am not throttled by Verizon at all with my 4G smartphone. I use extremely high amounts of data (well into the double or even sometimes triple digits) and have never been affected in any way.

But I'm hearing that ATT is throttling all their unlimited data customers around the ~2gb mark, even those on their brand-new LTE network that's only a few months old. Are you saying they shouldn't be allowed to throttle their LTE customers?

AT&T is not held to the same provisions as VZW for LTE. When VZW purchased the right to use the part of the LTE spectrum they now use, back in 2008 IIRC, there were provisions put on it by Google that the buyer had to follow. One of those provisions state they must not hinder network speed based on how much data a customer uses. AT&T gets to do as they wish AFAIK so an LTE phone on AT&T could be subject to throttling just as any other phone would be.

Upvote 0
AT&T is not held to the same provisions as VZW for LTE. When VZW purchased the right to use the part of the LTE spectrum they now use, back in 2008 IIRC, there were provisions put on it by Google that the buyer had to follow. One of those provisions state they must not hinder network speed based on how much data a customer uses. AT&T gets to do as they wish AFAIK so an LTE phone on AT&T could be subject to throttling just as any other phone would be.

Interesting. So when ATT got the right to use spectrum for their own LTE network, why weren't they held to the same provisions set by Google or anyone else?

If this is the case, then I will keep milking my grandfathered unlimited LTE data on Verizon for as long as possible until they pull it from my cold, dead hands! I'll happily buy phones off-contract as well to do it! I am happy to say that Verizon so far has never throttled me or done anything adverse with all the data I've sucked down!

Probably when they launch their LTE-Advanced network with "5G" phones, they will say my unlimited data plan isn't compatible with the new phones in their system and I'll have to move to a tiered plan. :(

Upvote 0
Interesting. So when ATT got the right to use spectrum for their own LTE network, why weren't they held to the same provisions set by Google or anyone else?

If this is the case, then I will keep milking my grandfathered unlimited LTE data on Verizon for as long as possible until they pull it from my cold, dead hands! I'll happily buy phones off-contract as well to do it! I am happy to say that Verizon so far has never throttled me or done anything adverse with all the data I've sucked down!

Probably when they launch their LTE-Advanced network with "5G" phones, they will say my unlimited data plan isn't compatible with the new phones in their system and I'll have to move to a tiered plan. :(

I believe it is because AT&T is using spectrum they already had and that the block c or whatever it was was the spectrum that was used by analog television. I also seem to remember that VZWs spectrum was the cool (better) spectrum as it traveled through obstacles easier. This is just my vague memories from reading news a few years ago so please anyone that can correct me or expand, please do;).

Upvote 0
:(

Why buy phones off contact? If you would do it just to keep your unlimited data, then dont worry about it. Ive upgraded my original droid to the nexus and I was able to keep my unlimited data. In fact, I just separated my line off of the family plan to my own individual plan, and I was still able to keep my unlimited data :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones