• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Giving my contacts there own sms tone

Messaging app --> menu key --> Settings --> Auto-retrieve

Some have said this needs to be on for Handcent to work, but others have said this actually causes the message to be retrieved twice, b/c Handcent retrieves the messages on its own.
I really don't know, b/c I stopped using Handcent b/c of the size of the app and the instability of it as I switched from ROM to ROM to ROM.

Upvote 0
though I use Handcent and it will do exactly what the OP wants - you can assign custom tones to SMS people, assign them custom icons that show up in the status bar, customize their bubbles and notifications, blah blah - no app is more customizable, Tasker is a powerful tool. Not needed to do what the OP wants, but it is awesome and I use it daily in so many cool ways.

I use the Tasker app to read the message from certain people out loud using the Text-To-Speech feature.

oh man.. that could get a bit tricky at times :) feel me?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones