• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Glad I got the Moment

itmike

Feb 4, 2010
Don't want to sound too much like a fan boy but anyways. As some here may know I work for the shack and well today I activated my first Hero for sprint. As I was activating it I was playing with it a little bit more than I usually do when I activate a phone. I am so glad I went with the Moment. It is so much more responsive and quick compared to the hero. I was really unimpressed with the sense ui on the phone, it reminded me more of the bloatware that comes with prefab pc's. I am a very minimalist person especially when it comes to my gadgets. I love the customization options, just let me do it myself. I really don't need htc sensing what I need. Though hopefully we'll get a customer wanting a hero after 2.1 comes out so I'll be able to play with that as well. Somewhat curious on if it run 2.1 and sense faster or slower.

I have the Hero and my wife has the Moment. For me, the Moment was too big; and I don't like slideout keyboards, as they are prone to breaking. The slight lag I suffer compared to my wifes phone is the only upside she can claim. The Hero lasts longer between battery charges, and it can actually play Pandora Radio. Also, I know on paper the Moment should have a better looking screen, but side by side, her's looks too blue. I've even had people say mine was clearer, and they hadn't read the review I saw about the blue Moment screen.

Upvote 0
Have you had many customers coming back with hardware problems on th Moment (e.g., keyboard slider problems)?

No we haven't. My manager lost a hero sell to a droid though because of the dust issue. Though we never had any luck with htc hardware. Though I can't say for sure because never owned one myself.

To the guy above me how do you like the sense software?

Upvote 0
I have the Hero and my wife has the Moment. For me, the Moment was too big; and I don't like slideout keyboards, as they are prone to breaking. The slight lag I suffer compared to my wifes phone is the only upside she can claim. The Hero lasts longer between battery charges, and it can actually play Pandora Radio. Also, I know on paper the Moment should have a better looking screen, but side by side, her's looks too blue. I've even had people say mine was clearer, and they hadn't read the review I saw about the blue Moment screen.

Same thing here. My Mom's got the Moment, and I've got the Hero. The Moment just feels too much like a brick to me, and the keyboard is just uncomfortable for me. I really enjoy Sense, it just makes Android look so much more refined. Yeah, it can be a bit laggy stock, but once I rooted my Hero and put a custom ROM on, there's virtually no lag at all. Not to mention the battery life, it's great on my Hero...my Mom's Moment just sucks for battery life. I love the Hero, it's so much damn fun (ok, I'm sure I sound like a fanboy too lol).

Upvote 0
I think everyone has their personal opinions on this one... Frankly, I like the Touch Pro 2 a hundred times better than the Hero or the Moment, but when Sprint gives me a FREE phone, I'm not going to complain at all.

I think the Hero is much more refined in the software department, and honestly if the Hero2 was out, that'd be my choice. HTC makes a great product, and dang if Berries didn't ruin the trackball experience for my wife and I, the Hero would have been our choice.

Overall, I can pick positives and negatives to all the devices that Sprint offers. The screens between the H and M are pretty close, the camera seems better (with good software) on the M, but the H has a better one with the stock stuff. The biggest difference I have seen is the Radio to Battery ratio. HTC seems to have it perfect (or as close as possible) with the Hero - Samsung is somewhere in left field with the Moment right now. Fortunately, that's a software update (2.1, 2.1, 2.1... Hopefully) that will come in the future.

For now, I have to deal with a bit slower data connection (1.0Mbps indoors and 1.8Mpbs outdoors) which should be fine for how my wife and I use the phone. As far as Pandora goes, as long as I turn off my notifications, I get no scratches at all in streaming - of course with them on, I even get the scratchy playback in the standard media player. I think that's a glitch as well, so we shall see what the update brings.

Great thread on comparisons and opinions though! Love to hear about new things and opinions on this and that! These will make my second android phone choice better than the first!

Upvote 0
As much as I like (like not love) the Moment it's really no better then any other Android phone. They're all the same and you can't really say one is better then the other unless you have a Nexus One, a Moto Droid or even a G1. It's all personal preference (unless you have that god awful TouchWiz UI like the Behold 2 :p). I picked the Moment because of the physical keyboard not because I thought it was soooo much better then the Hero. I think too many ppl have a "because I own it, everybody else can suck it if they don't agree with me" attitude... that's just weird :cool:

Upvote 0
It is personal preference. My wife carries the Moment in her purse, I carry in my pocket and there's no way I could carry the brick. On the dust issue for the Hero, mine has it. Indoors it's barely noticeable, but outside it is quite horrendous! Luckily someone on the Hero forums made a DIY on taking it apart and cleaning it. As summer approaches I will definitely have to do it, as I'll be outside more often. This is the only problem I've found in my Hero so far. I love it, and maybe I'm becoming a fanboy; but my wife loves her Moment too, and wouldn't switch even though I asked her to.

Upvote 0
I wear jeans year round, I really dont find it all that bricky. Granted, its no beauty queen, but its not an obese reject that can barely fit through a door. It is slightly thicker than the hero, due to its hardware add on. Honestly, Ive had days when I felt the hero would've been better, but then others Ive had days where Im happy that I have my Moment. Overall, Im happy with the choice I made. Granted if I were on Verizon, I might have gotten the Eris.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones