Glad I held off upgrading...

Last Updated:

1. mercdizzle

mercdizzle Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I really wanted the Captivate, but after reading about gps issues and such, I am waiting until there is a fix in place. But, looks like the Dell Streak may have stole me heart.

Advertisement
  2. Baldilocks

Baldilocks Well-Known Member

The Dell Streak is running 1.5 or 1.5 and has no Portrait mode. No thanks.

That and it has 480 x 800 on an 5" screen? That's not very impressive at all.

3. A.VOID

A.VOID Active Member

5" screen is getting to be too huge for a pocket phone. Reminds me of the bag phone days.

4. Ogami Itto

Ogami Itto Active Member

You must have some huge pockets.

edit: I was talking to the op.

5. Ph8

Ph8 Well-Known Member

Well I guess if your into paying at least 100$ more for a device then its OK. For me I was liking the Streak until they took so long to come out. Honestly if you wanted to wait for a Dell phone wait for the Thunder. You may also want to take a look at the issues people are having with the Streak (its not without its own faults).

As far as the GPS issues, it seems to not effect everyone and there IS going to be a fix for it. Most of the issues I have seen are usually realted to the OS and not the phone itself.

6. mercdizzle

mercdizzle Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

It's running 2.1, thanks.

7. peterpp

peterpp Well-Known Member

I have no problem with my Captivate GPS whatsoever. Glad I upgraded to a Capitvate from a Mythic.

8. Ph8

Ph8 Well-Known Member

Buuzzz wrong the ONLY place it is running 2.1 is in the "demo" video. Dell has stated time and time again that the official release will be running 1.6 with an OTA update to 2.2 later this year.

9. whsbuss

whsbuss Member

More than just GPS issues, battery life is not so good either. I can't carry a charger everywhere I go just to get through the day.

10. blazeplacid

blazeplacid Well-Known Member

Im sure the issues will be smoothed out

the phone has only been out a few weeks.

My battery lasts all day with no problems.

I listen to music probably 3 hours a day and check facbook every 20-30 min. Along with web browsing.

Most people wont post when they are happy.

You dont hear people posting how happy they are with call signal strength or the audio quality of the headphone jack

11. GalaxyS609

GalaxyS609 Well-Known Member

DUDE! It's a Dell!

(yuck)

12. Simba501

Simba501 Well-Known Member

+1, being a previous iPhone owner call quality and performance has been great...

13. ~Reaper~

~Reaper~ Well-Known Member

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

and i am posting i am completely happy with my captivate:cool::cool:

14. DontMindMe

DontMindMe Active Member

its not so good? i can have mine on for 15 hours, constantly texting (like easily 300+), checking facebook, checking twitter, browsing reddit, and even getting on the browser every now and then to get on this.

Battery life is nothing like my old blackjack 2. I would use the camera for less than 30 seconds on that thing and it would be dead before 9. With this phone i can make videos and not have to worry about that happening.

Im really happy with the battery life on this phone.

15. Baldilocks

Check your facts. :) It's shipping with 1.5 or 1.6. Also, since there is no portrait mode, you have to keep the phone sideways to do everything.
    Good luck with your purchase though.

16. baddress

baddress Well-Known Member

Can you take off the back cover and tell me what is the date on your battery?

17. DontMindMe

DontMindMe Active Member

June 22nd, 2010

18. DT

DT Well-Known Member

That's kind of like shopping for a Boxster Spyder and coming home with a Hummer :D

19. jmreed97

jmreed97 Well-Known Member

Are you sure? I read it will have 1.6 but will be upgraded to 2.1 in the future.

20. skinien

skinien Well-Known Member

I think the size of the Captivate is PERFECT! Any larger and I'm guessing most of use will need two hands to reach all portions of the phone screen. I like being able to comfortably reach all points of the screen using my thumb.

21. biocalves

biocalves Member

Considering that Dell's been screwing with people over the last few weeks with their whole twittering and blog post fiascos, I'm surprised anyone would still be interested.

Dell says it will ship with 1.6 with OTA for 2.1 or 2.2 late summer, then changes that statement to late 2010. They say $499 off contract then yesterday they post $299 contract, $549 off only to pull it from their site 15 minutes later. They've been saying late July for a while now only for a rep to deny that information.

I've been waiting for the Streak to come out for some time now but so happy I got the Captivate instead.

22. tdwilli1

tdwilli1 New Member

I will have to agree with this. I can't get 13 hours without it going dead. A few texts and emails during then day and occasional web at home. I don't feel I should have to do intensive research and turning off settings to get it through the day.

23. Intervenient

Intervenient Well-Known Member

For all those with battery troubles, switch to ADW launcher and keep draining it for at least another day. I was very vocal about how crappy the battery was when I first got it...and managed to go to sleep yesterday with 40% with 18 hours invested in it the previous day. It gets better.

24. thindery

thindery Well-Known Member

I considered the Streak as an alternative until my brother and I made a prototype unit out of cardboard that was the size and weight. This thing is huge. There is a lot of wasted space on the phone. They could have easily made it a little smaller if they had taken off the wasted space.

Not to mention a $300 price tag! ouch. I can get a netbook for $300 or less and have a fully functioning windows computer. Don't get me wrong, android is an awesome os but it won't completely replace your PC. Don't think a 5inch screen means you are going to be typing up your word or excell documents on it. Oh, but you can get a bluetooth keyboard, you say? But then it isn't very mobile anymore is it?

The captivate is the perfect size. I even thought the EVO was a little too big (but workable). The captivate is perfect.

Also, a lot of it is required to be landscape, which I hate landscape. And in portrait I have read it is extremely hard to type one handed unless you have yhetti hands.

25. Baldilocks

The Streak has two things against it in my opinion.

1. It ONLY works in Landscape mode.
    2. 800 x 480 on a 5" screen? It's already starting to get pixelated on 4" screens...

Android 1.6 to a lesser degree is a bad thing. It may not get 2.1 until late this year and may not get 2.2 until well into next year.

No thanks.