Glass screens - they do scratch, badly

Last Updated:

1. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

A lot of people don't believe that glass screens scratch, that they're harder than steel, hard as diamond, etc etc.

I've always known that to be false, considering my glass windshield is severely scratched up from the wipers going back and forth on it with grit and particles of dirt.

Today I was at Walmart, and saw two iPhone 3GS display models. The glass screens on them were scratched way way worse than any plastic screen phone's I've seen, even the dummy plastic phone models.

I was truly shocked at how worn away the sides of the screen were (they looked like they were sandblasted), and there were deep thin scratches everywhere on the screen. The iPhone was tethered to the display by a strong cable, so I don't think anyone could have thrown them around.

If you ever don't believe glass screens scratch, go to a Walmart and look at their iPhone display models, LOL. :eek:

Advertisement
  2. sensesfail99

sensesfail99 Well-Known Member

well i use to drop my blackberry storm quite a bit and it never scratched the glass :)

3. trekgraham

trekgraham Well-Known Member

I took my screen protector off, and my Droid is always on me either in pocket or on my belt. No major scratches, no major damage. But I also take good care of my phone, but you tend to take good care of something that's apart of you.

4. DeenyBot

DeenyBot Member

Oh yeah, they scratch for sure. Isn't that obvious? If you're going commando, better use protection or put your keys in the other pocket!

5. Zaric

Zaric Member

That's because the display of the iphone was plastic. Not to say that the glass can't scratch it can but I"ll bet the display was plastic.

6. sensesfail99

J
    Don't rain on the iphone hate train. Sheesh! Don't you know that's all we do on this forum?!?!?

7. Zaric

Zaric Member

Oh sorry................Yea The damn iphone POS junk screen. Serves them right, they should have bought a droid........dumb &^%^&%$&^

8. sensesfail99

+1 for rep!!!! LMAO

9. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

What's the iPhones best feature?

The off button.

10. kutsushita

kutsushita Well-Known Member

Anything left out at wal mart is inevitably going to be trashed. I've had 2 DS lites since they came out with regular play over the years and they barely have scratches on the outside but every one I've ever seen at wal mart looks as if they were engraved with a quarter. A few days ago I went to wal mart and noticed a new laptop display with all working displays and one of them was missing almost all its buttons and another ones screen didnt even work because it was completely scratched. So yes glass scratches, its not a wonder material. Will it happen to any of us who just use minimum to extreme care with our phones? Probably not as bad as what you saw at wal mart. Just remember the heathen children that horrible parents alow to run rampid and destroy whatever they want inside wal mart on a day to day basis.

11. Eugene

Eugene Well-Known Member

The glass screen on a laptop is covered with a plastic layer.
    Glass can scratch but the droid glass is hardenend. My winmo phone was plasitc and got scratched up pretty good, but it got scratched from having it inside a case, dust and dirt would get inside the case and scratch it up, so after the first week when I saw dust getting inside the droid case I took it off and have been carrying it nakid since and its not scratched yet.